Who's dreaming...

Pages: 12
Did you ever notice how you most often you don't realize you're dreaming, while you're dreaming?

Even when you do impossible things... like float in mid air, and talk to people who are no longer alive?

This is the explanation I've come up with: when you dream, it is not you who's dreaming. It is not the conscious self. It is the subconscious/unconscious self. And it doesn't understand reality, it just picks memories and uses imagination to build the dream.

Now, your brain still uses short term memory for all this, so if you wake up suddenly, you can remember what your alternate self imagined, and this is what you call a dream.

I admit I didn't research before I posted this, so maybe my "idea" is not new at all. Anyway, what do you think about this?
Happens all the time, except sometimes when I do realize I'm dreaming (see lucid dreaming). Doesn't seem like I can affect anything going on easily though, it's like I am trying to will stuff to happen to somewhere logic (lol) is saying "wtf bro you can't fly" so therefore I won't be able to.

Usually the stuff I dream about is only vaguely related to stuff that has actually happened.
Have you recently seen "Inception"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inception
My opinion is that dreams are the brain's way of processing and storing the information and events it experienced while you were conscious. If I don't want to have a dream about something I usually think about it while I'm awake so my brain doesn't have to process it anymore. But that's all just a theory.
I get lucid dreams a lot, apparently gamers are more likely to have lucid dreams as well as people who don't sleep well, and I'm both.
If you want to fly in your dreams dont look at the ground, because your thoughts will be about the ground, and then you will be on it, if you want to move faster you have to see how your moving fast allready, I used to love flying dreams
I have noticed that usually as soon as I realize I'm dreaming, the dream ends.

This could mean 2 things:
1. when I realize that I'm dreaming, the dream's destructor is called.
2. I realize that 'what I'm seeing is a dream' during the dream's destructor

The 2nd explanation seems more logical, as during the dream's destructor, I'm in the process of gaining consciousness. When I'm conscious enough, I realize that I'm dreaming. But the destructor soon finishes cleanup and the dream is over.
Last edited on
Well I see my original "you're two different selves in one, sharing memories" idea didn't really take off.
Back to the drawing board.
I would like to see a computer game that uses dream rules and physics, just with the lucidity of the concious world of course, cant wait to see the first dream recorder, the more you read aboot brain science and tech, the more believable it seems to be, when we all graduate or get a little better at what we do the computer science around us could be more interesting than ever before.

unless a solar flare fries all the chips (computer chips)
Last edited on
My dreams aren't very vivid. Usually they're just silent and I know what people are saying, and I always know that I am dreaming, I just can't control it. Sometimes though my dreams are pure code :)
closed account (S3TkoG1T)
My dreams aren't very vivid. Usually they're just silent and I know what people are saying, and I always know that I am dreaming, I just can't control it. Sometimes though my dreams are pure code :)

Really! Sounds magical.
Yeah, the pure code dreams are very nice :)
Problem is that most of your dreams you don't remember. For example, I don't remember many of mine so I just tell people I don't dream.
Normally it's easier to remember your dreams when you've had an alarm going off for a few hours and family members banging on your door to shut it off. I don't recommend it, though...
It's really annoying when people say they don't dream. Of course you do, you just don't remember. If you know that you just don't remember, just say that, rather than saying you don't dream.
It's really annoying when people say they don't dream

Scientists can't even say for sure what dreaming is. One theory1:

around 1973, researchers Allan Hobson and Robert McCarley set forth another theory that threw out the old psychoanalytical ideas. Their research on what was going in the brain during sleep gave them the idea that dreams were simply the result of random electrical brain impulses that pulled imagery from traces of experience stored in the memory. They hypothesize that these images don't form the stories that we remember as our dreams. Instead, our waking minds, in trying to make sense of the imagery, create the stories without our even realizing it -- simply because the brain wants to make sense of what it has experienced. While this theory, known as the activation-synthesis hypothesis, created a big rift in the dream research arena because of its leap away from the accepted theories, it has withstood the test of time and is still one of the more prominent dream theories.

which could be interpreted to mean that people who don't remember dreams... don't dream.

Memories, or it didn't happen.

Interesting link: http://www2.ucsc.edu/dreams/FAQ/

1 http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/dream1.htm
chrisname wrote:
It's really annoying when people say they don't dream. Of course you do, you just don't remember. If you know that you just don't remember, just say that, rather than saying you don't dream.

The only reason I tell people I don't dream is because there is always that one weird one that asks what you dream about when you dream. When you tell them you can't remember they think you are ashamed of your dream or hiding something. Easier to say you don't dream because then nobody asks you again.

You should be careful getting annoyed about it though because there is a real medical condition where people don't enter REM sleep and never do dream.

[EDIT]
I wouldn't be believed if I did say what I dreamed about anyways. I've had the normal flying dream where you dream you can fly as Superman. My other dreams aren't so normal. Growing up I would have dreams and a few days later, the things I dreamed about would happen. I even had a dream that my father came and said good-bye to me the night he was murdered, which made me wake up to find my mom crying and my uncles there comforting her. Wasn't til the next day that I found out my father was murdered. So in truth, I would rather not dream because I still had the odd dreams that happen days later and it still freaks the hell out of me.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
I thought dreams were just the brain organizing memories and finalizing them, categorizing them, etc? At least my dreams are always thoughts and memories from the day. If I was doing hardcore programming, then my dreams are mostly code.
Well you can only dream if you get to REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who have medical problems that prevent them from ever achieving REM sleep so they can't dream. If you don't reach REM then you may not feel as rested the next day. I remember reading about a disorder where something happens in your brain where a chemical is released and you don't feel tired. Only downside to this disorder is that after a short while of having it untreated you will die. I'll have to find the disorder again.

I think not being able to dream is not so bad when compared to those with that disorder.
BHXSpecter wrote:
I remember reading about a disorder where something happens in your brain where a chemical is released and you don't feel tired. Only downside to this disorder is that after a short while of having it untreated you will die.
That's like a disorder where something happens in your code where a function is called and objects don't get destructed. Only downside to this disorder is that after a short while of having it unfixed you will run out of memory.
Pages: 12