Coding Together

I am a competitive coder( a coder who solves problems on various online judges like codechef,spoj,topcoder,codeforces etc.)

I have been doing it for quite long and my rate of growth has been almost exponential. But, now its got stagnant coz, I am dealing with harder problems. Though I have found a solution to my problem of dealing with these questions, I have to reach out to public for that.

I simply need a friend who is himself a competitive coder like me.
Q. WHY?
A. 1.Because the rate of growth almost doubles when two coders work together.
2.They share sources of learning, think on the same problem discussing and looking at it from all angles and even after it gets accepted, they modify the constraints and then solve it again.
3.When two minds act on same problem, the problem is likely to solved sooner.
4.Sometimes while programming alone, a person tends to ignore problems, delay them, and not care to think upon them again after getting it accepted.
5. Coding becomes more fun.
6. According to the talks I had with people who are in top tech companies like google,amazon,microsoft, they always worked on their coding skills with friends. Some had good tutors,some had friends of matching skill level or some had groups.
7. We can ask each other the dumbest doubts without even thinking twice before.

Q. WHY HAVE I BEEN UNABLE TO FIND FRIENDS AROUND MYSELF?
A. 1. First of all, there are not many coders around me.
2. Even in my computers class, there are very few people who do this type of coding.
3. Only 2-3 classmates are there who are somewhat introvert and like to code alone.

Q. WHOM I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE FRIENDS?
A. 1. I am a New Delhi, India resident. If the person is from same place, it is the best. But I would like to make friends from anywhere :)
2. We will contact each other through facebook or forums like this or emails or phone or if possible, will meet somewhere and work on problems or maybe projects.

Plz reply if u r in the same possition as me. You don't know, group coding can work wonders. Also, we can participate in many competitons as a team. Hope to get a good reply. Happy coding.

email-id -> vgoel38@gmail.com
my codechef id -> http://www.codechef.com/users/desktop
spoj id -> http://www.spoj.com/users/vgoel38/

I am also eager to be friends with people working on open source projects.
A link u would like-> http://breckyunits.com/6_specific_ways_to_find_programming_mentors
Last edited on
If you dont get impressed with my codechef and spoj handles, don't think I am not a good coder. Its just that I started a little late and remain quite busy in many other things as well. But, now I m not gonna stop..the graph is gonna be exponential again. :)
I enjoy algorithmic programming. I am, however, not near India. send me a PM, if you're interested.
I hv msgd u script coder. Anybody else in for group coding??
If you don't mind someone a bit below your abilities I would love to join.
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I have just recently begun doing some spoj.com classical problems so would be willing to work with you guys. Though I am not sure how much time I will have to help out because of a busy schedule. Send me a PM though if you guys want a part timer.
Thanks for the reply guys. Well what I think is, INTEREST matters. And ofcourse , the rate of learning is gonna be much more. The condition is you should be hard working and helping to others. :)
Last edited on
Guys..its a little difficult to post our problems here. We need any other space where we can post our doubts and help each other.
Please tell me where u can be available. The following options are arranged in decreasing order of preference.

1. Facebook group
2. Email
3. Cplusplus forum

4. Any other group we can make as a project :) or u can tell me if there is any other way of interacting.
We could post problems here, we could even get wanted (or unwanted) help (or annoyances). If you guys want to do it off site, may I please suggest email.
We could post problems here, we could even get wanted (or unwanted) help (or annoyances). If you guys want to do it off site, may I please suggest email.

I would suggest not posting here in deference to the sites that post the problems and the people who try to solve them alone. The last thing they need is solutions/problem discussion on a site that tends to google-ize very well. (I wouldn't be surprised if admin were asked to remove such discussion by the sites in question.)

I would also hope that you don't "team" for competitions that are clearly meant for individuals.
Email seems like the best option. I recommend sending all of our addresses to one person and they can create an email group.
@Varius what is an email group?
My apologies. I was thinking only of Google Docs so that would not work with everyone
@cire I do not understand your sentence:
The last thing they need is solutions/problem discussion on a site that tends to google-ize very well. (I wouldn't be surprised if admin were asked to remove such discussion by the sites in question.)
we can have a google group...easy :) what say? its just like gmail..
Maybe this website can help in your efforts?

https://www.assembla.com/home

Good luck!
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I think anything that you can post code that is formatted in and easily contact people(Email, Personal Messages, IRC Client) would work fine.

Just let me know what you guys start and I will join. But Like I mentioned before I won't have much time to help with to many practice problems, because of work, and just started a new Tile Engine/Map Editor project with a buddy of mine for his 2D RPG game. But will join you for some practice problems and maybe a group competition if they have some.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.