• Forum
  • Lounge
  • wat is harder to learn chemestry or elec

wat is harder to learn chemestry or electric engineering?

give openiens on it please i am cureus
Firstly, "yr enrish sucks" and you won't get much help with grammar like that (not trying to insult you, but help you).
Also, it depends on what you enjoy, and if you have any natural talent in either field?
I know people have majored in chemistry and (at least at my university) they all say that is no cake walk. It can be pretty intense. I have not heard the same of electrical engineering, but I don't really know any majors of that field personally.
Chemistry is more learning by heart, electrical engineering is more about understanding and analysis.
chemistry, I have seen good physicists wince at the maths, electric engineering has tough bits like capacitance but nothing on chemistry
, chemistry starts off easy but gets harder and harder til i gave up
Last edited on

electric engineering has tough bits like capacitance

capacitance? what's tough in capacitance? Understanding capacitance/inductance is IMHO very basic stuff. Much harder things are in HF circuit analysis, where every wire is a long-signal-line.
Last edited on
capacitance is a mathematical bastard IMHO.

I fell behind trying to grasp it, and when I did the course was somewhere else I fell behind and didn't go back the next year :(
If you couldn't grasp capacitance then you also didn't grasp differential equations, complex numbers and Laplace's transform (because if you knew those, you'd know that capacitance/inductance/resistance are exactly the same thing). And if you couldn't grasp Laplace transform, how would you understand quantum molecular physics which is a basic building block in modern chemistry and which requires much stronger math skills?
no they are not! farads are rat bastard little critters and I did grasp it all, capacitance last, just way too slowly thank you very much, capacitance is different maths to resistance inductance and all that other shit, did you even study electronics? and I also i do say chemistry is harder with mathematics that makes physicists wince.

I could get it know, this was just waaay back
Last edited on
This just sounds like a crazy question, surely it's more down to personal preference and skill than anything else? Maybe the university you take it at will also make a difference, but apart from that they're two different subjects. I'm aware there'll be some overlap, but really the two subjects are very distinct overall.

As for the Maths parts, in the UK they tend to not assume anything other than basic parts of A-Level Maths and provide plenty of support to help you get it. You shouldn't need to be a Mathematician to do Chemistry or Electrical Engineering, but there will be Maths (as with all scientific/engineering subjects).

Source: Multiple science friends at uni in the UK. I personally do Maths as a subject and don't think any real development on Maths is required other than a few simple things that can be taught to people who aren't overly skilled in Maths and some larger formulae. It's true a lot of people fall back on Maths, but the ones who succeed are the diligent rather than the talented among scientists.
It depends on how far you go into each subject, but Chemistry will get more complicated if you're planning on pursuing it in depth. Engineering disciplines require you to be able to be creative, but in terms of complexity the theory behind them will be less intense than what you'll find when studying a pure science.

chemistry is harder with mathematics that makes physicists wince.

I doubt this. Do you have specific examples?
aascii, No physicists have really really hardcore maths, infact only physicists and mathematicians do maths that hardcore, just the physicists that I sometimes hang out with once mentioned that chemistry has tough maths, i think it was biochemsitry to be more specific and it was something to do with sequencing DNA or actual physics...that might be it Bio-physics
I'm considering dong a minor in computational biology, but I'm worried because I would need to take 4 chemistry courses and 4 biology courses (quarter system).

It's not that I think it will be too hard; just that it will consume a whole lot of time that I could be spending studying computer science. But it would open up doors to graduate programs, and or research in bioinformatics/computational biology, which would be a pretty awesome thing to be a part of.

From what I have been reading, computational biology is really hot right now, and is expected to be revolutionary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_biology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioinformatics

It's pretty much a combination of mathematics, biology/chemistry, and computer science.
Not sure which is harder. Suppose it would depend on the person, but I think it is safe to say Chemistry is a lot more dangerous.

no they are not! farads are rat bastard little critters and I did grasp it all, capacitance last, just way too slowly thank you very much, capacitance is different maths to resistance inductance and all that other shit, did you even study electronics?

Different maths?
O'rly?

Resistance:
I = 1/R * U

Inductance:
I' =1/L * U

Conductance (inverse of resistance):
I = G * U

Capacitance:
I = C * U'

You might be worried by the differentials, but once you learn Laplace transform, it is easy to get linear, simple equations back:

Resistance:
I = 1 * 1/R * U

Inductance:
I = 1/s * 1/L * U

Conductance (inverse of resistance):
I = 1 * G * U

Capacitance:
I = s * C * U

*The only difference between those equations is constant factor*.
Last edited on
hmph maybe it was using them in context,.

I might go back to it now, I didn't know I needed to take ritalin and focus a certain way then, I tend to study harder and see more in what im learning now.

Im sad that I fell behind now
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.