So I bought a motor scooter

Pages: 123
And I love it to death!
See, I've never owned a car before. Never had much reason before I moved out of my parents house and about 4 hours away. I live about an hour's walk from my Job and about a 3 hour walk from my school, obviously not having a vehicle wasn't going to work for ever. So I started saving up for a car. I had enough saved up by march but while working on my budget I realized I wouldn't be able to afford insurance, plates, tags, gas, upkeep, etc. So I bought a moped, and oh god I love it. I bought it on monday and filled up the tank for under $5(USD), and just had to refill last night after having driven 73 miles. It's fantastic ^^.

Anyways, I just wanted to share, out of my excitement :P
Cherapy wrote:
I bought it on monday and filled up the tank for under $5(USD), and just had to refill last night after having driven 73 miles.
You get 73 miles per gallon!? O_O
Approximately. It wasn't completely empty when I first filled it up, and I had driven ~17 miles on what they had put in the tank before I drove off the lot. Mopeds are great :P
73 miles per gallon should be around 20 km per litre, which is what most scooters consume AFAIK.
To fill up my tank (7.5~ lt.) I have to spend almost 15€...

EDIT
No ok it's 31 km per litre, that's insane. Which model is it?
Last edited on
Is it coincidence the advertisement at the top of the page when I was reading this was for http://www.scooterdepot.us ?
No, it's called targeted advertising.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Lol I'm getting a Chrysler Advertisement ;p Guess I'm not good enough for a Scooter
I never thought about using a moped/motorcycle instead of a car... all of my problems are solved!
@chrisname @Zereo I guess I need to find a way to donate to this site because I have AdBlock Plus on and I completely forgot this site had ads :\
someone offered me a 1970 yammy DT for 300 and i never took it!!

one of my few regrets http://www.motorcycle-specs.com/general/Yamaha-DT1-1970.jpg
Motorcycles are insane. Mopeds are no better. You couldn't pay me to ride one (at least not in my current situation).

Everyone I know who has one has wiped out on it at least once. They're extremely dangerous.

I'm terrified of them when I see them on the road. I'm always on edge and feel like I have to drive super careful around them. It sucks.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)

feel like I have to drive super careful around them

You should.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7D0BTyJBeM
Yeah, I know. That's why I do.

I hate it. The last thing we need is more of them on the road.

Get a freaking car you psychos.

EDIT:

Did some googling and came across this page:

http://www.motorcycleaccident.org/motorcycle-accidents-statistics-and-possible-causes/

I'm too lazy to actually confirm through its listed sources, but it claims that "Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely experience a deadly accident on the road than those in passenger cars."

A 35x likelihood of getting killed on the road makes gas prices seem trivial to me.
Last edited on
Motorbikes are cool; ipso facto, any possible objection to their use is irrelevant. Also injuries lead to scars and we all know chicks dig scars.
Employers sure don't.
chrisname wrote:
chicks dig scars.

This is the only thing that keeps Carlos Tevez going. That and the millions of pounds, of course.

Disch wrote:
Get a freaking car you psychos.

This!

I'm breaking the fuel saving trend - just bought my first car with a turbo a couple of weeks ago.
@L B
Well if I got any visible ones, I'd just say I was slashed with a knife trying to stop a mugging or something. Besides, who doesn't think scars are cool? On a serious note, I don't think employers can discriminate against people just because they have scars. I don't have a motorbike either, and probably never will, but I do like them.

[edit] Apart from the really loud ones, the people who drive those are just assholes.
Last edited on
Besides, who doesn't think scars are cool?

If you really think they're cool... they're easy to make. Just start cutting yourself and don't treat the wound properly.

It's so obvious! Just stab yourself a bunch and you'll be an instant babe magnet!

XD

I don't think employers can discriminate against people just because they have scars.

Legally they can't, but it's one of those things that's like impossible to enforce.

The hard truth of the world is that appearance counts for a lot. Especially in the job market. Attractive people have a huge advantage.

Apart from the really loud ones, the people who drive those are just assholes.

This.
>"Get a freaking car you psychos."

Did you read my OP? :P

I wanted to, couldn't afford it, needed a vehicle, I can afford this vehicle. I try to avoid major roads though.
closed account (D80DSL3A)
I finally got the crotch rocket I always wanted (a 2004 Yamaha YZFR1), kept it for 5 years, had a lot of fun on it, then sold it because I knew I was eventually going to get killed on it.

I thought I'd ride sane, but a 400 pound machine with 170hp and a top speed of 180mph invites recklessness. I'd exceed 100mph somewhere on nearly every trip, riding Los Angeles freeways.

It was fun, but the VW beetle I drive now is much safer.
Pages: 123