Homemade RC Engine/Homemade Gokart

Pages: 12
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I really want to get back into physical handiness and not be some no life programmer the whole time(Not that programmers are no-lifes). So, what I want to do was build either a homemade gokart from spare parts, or a RC plane. What I need for the RC Plane is an engine, and I want to physically make that. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Now for the Gokart engine. I don't want to risk it and make my own engine. I don't want to race down the road at 300 mph or anything, I just want to get my cart to move at around 10 mph. I'm looking an engine I could find in some things I already own. Any help is appreciated.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Fredbill30 wrote:
I'm looking an engine I could find in some things I already own. Any help is appreciated.
The first things that spring to mind are lawnmower/chainsaw/etc. engines.

If you wanted to go electric, you could reinvent the Sinclair C5 and use a washing machine motor.

Edit:
Fredbill30 wrote:
What I need for the RC Plane is an engine, and I want to physically make that. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Miniature Internal Combustion Engines
by Malcolm Stride
Last edited on
washing machine motor and a leisure battery, washing machines are great, they are worthless when they are broken, theres a perfect rubber band and gear wheels in them, you could even use the brearings, you can use the metal sheets on the side for a brake (the kind with a wooden leaver that tightens a wide sheet around the rear axel) or for body work.

plan it and get everything together first, your old man should help though, what with voltages and all that
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Like devon said its good you want to do it yourself but I would find a adult to help you with some of it cause you will be working with dangerous machinery and like he said really high voltage.
Remember, the safest way to deal with high DC current is to place just one hand on each pole. That way it travels through an arm, across the chest and back out the other arm, completely avoiding your knees (wouldn't want to fall). Your heart might stop though...
make a model first, so you can see what issues you may have.

oh yeah you want a DC current for a motor but the danger is with that is you will have to convert it without shocking yourself, the problem with DC is that it doesn't throw you across the room, you just grab what ever it is and your electrocuted self can't let go.
I sense SpoonLicker's presence. Washing machines are awesome in that case. Do you think a chainsaw would provide enough power to move my 125 pound self?
Now I'm thinking of just hooking up a chainsaw (I looked up that it could probably move me) to a bike and riding that. Then I could brag to my friends at school about my awesome chainsaw bike.
That would be hell on the ankles.
Of course it could move you, you just need to create some mechanical advantage with some gears or a full gearbox.
whats with all these reports?
^Spoon licker.
So, any ideas on how to make a "redneck motorbike"?
a disk cutter would be a better engine, could get rid of the cutting disk and replace it with a fly wheel (a blunt disk), that could still be dangerous but it would be better than the standard design for home made go carts and bikes
closed account (z05DSL3A)
So, any ideas on how to make a "redneck motorbike"?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Replica-Vintage-Motorcycle/
I cant afford any engines. I need some that may be laying around somewhere.
Will a computer fan do for a rc plane engine?
I Seriously doubt that a pc cooling fan would be of any use (accept to keep the RC passangers cool, lol)

Considering you can easily stop one with your finger, the drag of a prop trying to move a plane would be far beyond the capability of a cooling fan's motor, short of using a lot of gearing, but then you'd have no speed left.

One of those can motor they use in toys might be a better bet, though it would need to be a small light airplane. They're pretty cheap, and most any electronics parts store should have them.
You can get fairly high torque, fast electric motors off of Ebay for less than $20. So long as the motor can put out around 5-10 thousand RPM under a relatively light load, it should be fine. The more important part is the propeller. Check out http://www.towerhobbies.com/ for all kinds of RC related stuff, from complete kits to specific parts. I have a few planes myself, flying is great.
A pc fan will work with a series of hellium balloons XD
Pages: 12