Why is C still here when C++ has come?

Pages: 12
I have to second Cubbi's sentiment on that one.

What I think rapidcoder means to say is that the simplicity of C allows one to master it sooner, therefore "immediately being productive" -- and not that using C++ instead of C won't pay off in the long run.

That said, I'd like it if Cubbi put more effort in refuting his points rather than say something like "You can't be serious!" and be done with it.
Last edited on
Well, if that is how he meant it, then I can understand. It was just the wording that made me agree as I think it would require more than keywords and syntax to be "immediately being productive".
I personally don't think there's a need for C. As C++ can do everything C can do. As technology advances so should the language, logically.
@Oria
Not all architectures have an available c++ compiler.
As C++ can do everything C can do.

I could give you examples of things that C++ can't do.
I could give you examples of things that C++ can't do.
I'm interested in this list
Hmm... I was thinking of certain C99 features... whereas you seem to expect me to prove that it's not Turing complete.
Some features of C++ can't be implemented efficiently on some architectures. E.g. exceptions.
naraku9333 wrote:
Not all architectures have an available c++ compiler.

I'm aware of that, however I can help to wonder is those architectures should be either changed, updated or replaced by... you know... newer stuff.
Newer isn't always better.
BHXSpecter wrote:
Newer isn't always better.

no but it can be improved or updated to be better.

Technology wise. I don't miss anything from the 80s or 90s. At work we use an older PoS system which is from the early 90s... Its horrible and makes me swear in various tones. I would welcome a newer one even if it had some random bugs... But some people cant let go of their old fax machine and carbon paper purchase orders...
Last edited on
Oria wrote:
Its horrible and makes me swear in various tones.

That is what I jokingly call the puberty cursing. As for updating, updates can be made to make it worse. Look at NASA, they sent an update to a probe with the wrong location and it overwrote the probes transmission code so they lost all contact with it.

Why mess with classics ;).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12