Public wishlist for cplusplus.com

Pages: 1... 111213141516
I propose that posting in the Lounge should not be allowed for people with less than 30% of their post count in other forums.
kind of like a disloyalty card, how would you police that anyway? I suppose its to save the lounge from being devonrevenge and fredbill .com

EDIT:if we had access to our thread data and some dormant little features (for example when we typed [personal_script_output][/pso] we could write scripts that could output type from one of our own little data clollecting outputting programs) that sort of thing
Last edited on
devonrevenge wrote:
how would you police that anyway?
How would you not?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
if (loungePosts > totalPosts * .6)
    cout "You suck and can't post here";
else
    cout "Go ahead you help people";
Last edited on
I help people on the Lounge, I just can't usually be bothered to post in the other forums: I do on occasion, but I doubt that those posts would constitute 30% of my post count. I rarely need help myself, though, so it's not as though I'm taking without giving back; I'm just neutral. [edit] I also write articles.
Last edited on
how do you write acceptable articles that get put up? i thought i would do something to redirect beginner hacker wannabes questions and energy
Last edited on
If you're writing them like you write most of your posts, then it's not surprising if your articles get rejected.
nothings got rejected, I havnt submitted anything, I would put a lot of effort into an article, unlike my posts.

the point of an article is to be helpful right?

how would c++.com know you have been to other forums??
Last edited on
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
D: remove the number 13 from pages so pages go from 1 ... 11, 12, 14.
Last edited on
@devonrevenge
The 'h' word you used is probably why it got rejected. This is not a hacker site and therefore the admin do not want a hacker article on the site.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
I hate how the word hacker is now associated with crackers (IE the people actually out to do harm by stealing personal info, corrupting your computer, writing malware, ect). In all reality a hacker is just someone that loves to solve problems and is passionate about finding new problems to solve.
Well if you want to get into etymology of hacker, hacker comes from hack. Hack until computers meant simply 'to cut roughly, cut with chopping blow' then about 1984 hack/hacker became 'illegally enter a computer system'. At no point, do I see hack meaning "somone that loves to solve problems" or "someone passionate about finding new problems to solve". Are you sure you aren't thinking of a mathematician? :P
I'm positive a hacker is someone the loves to solve problems usually witg computers and loves exploring computers and pushing them to their limits.

And if you didn't see that anywhere you must have not searched hard because the first google hit for hacker is the wiki page that explains just that.

You can also check out the Jargon file.
Last edited on
okay for the third time I havnt submitted anything yet, and I want to write an article that will educate and redirect young/nieve programmers who think its cool to break someone elses stuff and I will explain what hacking actually is and that to get into it they have to learn to code, or give up.

I also want to explain that hackers are actually people who enjoy writing code(or just write lots of it) and these are the people who know stuff about computers and not crackers.

EDIT: I will use the jargon file as research, any resources or insights will be appreciated.
Last edited on
@ devonrevenge: you want to write an article on ethics? You ought to leave that choice to the individual, because it's theirs anyway.
May we all stop and take notice that Catfish the fourth is posting on his father's ( Catfish the third's) thread.

@devon I have to agree with Catfish (the fourth) here, you should rather write an article explaining hacking techniques that have positive advantages. Although even that might be disapproved by some forum members.
RIP catfish the fourth RIP
I help people on the Lounge, I just can't usually be bothered to post in the other forums: I do on occasion, but I doubt that those posts would constitute 30% of my post count.

The percentage could be lowered substantially and still bar folks like Fredbill from spamming the loung with nonsense posts and topics.

I'm not enamored of the percent or method to discourage people from only trolling in the lounge. One could probably lower the percentage required to 1 percent and still limit the number of nonsense posts the Fredbills of the community make in the lounge.

Alternately we could say X% OR post_count > some_threshold. Which, even if it doesn't help with our currently ensconced trolls, would at least discourage new ones from following the same pattern.

Or, that ignore feature sure would be handy.
Zereo wrote:
I'm positive a hacker is someone the loves to solve problems usually witg computers and loves exploring computers and pushing them to their limits.

And if you didn't see that anywhere you must have not searched hard because the first google hit for hacker is the wiki page that explains just that.

You can also check out the Jargon file.

Jargon is not a factual definition though. Jargon is only used in professions, trades or groups:
dictionary wrote:
the language, especially the vocabulary, peculiar to a particular trade, profession, or group: medical jargon.

According to the dictionary also:
dictionary wrote:
hacker
noun
a person or thing that hacks.
Slang. a person who engages in an activity without talent or skill: weekend hackers on the golf course.
Computer Slang.
a. a computer enthusiast.
b. a microcomputer user who attempts to gain unauthorized access to proprietary computer systems.

I don't consider jargon definitions to be factual.
I would love the ignore feature also, we can always just not respond to someone but it gets hard to not get baited into responding sometimes.
Pages: 1... 111213141516