C++ Youtube Series?

Hello cplusplus community,

I was thinking, not many people in my college (or really anybody that I know) writes programs. Most people have the misconception that programming is tedious and boring. (I think programming is farthest from the case.)

I recently watched a video from Code.org and it inspired me. Normally, I am not a huge Steve Jobs fan, but he has a pretty interesting quote: "Everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer... because it teaches you how to think."

The Code.org video made me think about creating a Youtube series on how to program in C++. Most people who make tutorials make them boring. (They aren't to me, but to others they are.) I was thinking about making a "Let's Build" series on Youtube. In which at first I make tutorials on how to make simple C++ games, and then I eventually work my way up to some OpenGL games.

I just wanted to know, what are your thoughts on this? Do you think this is a good/bad idea? Thanks!
That depends, how well do you think you can carry yourself just based on voice alone? To what lengths are you going to go to ensure good quality content? How are you going to make it entertaining? Are you willing to accept that this may very well just crash and burn/not be as popular and will you be able to persevere continue doing it any way?

http://www.youtube.com/course?list=ECAE85DE8440AA6B83

It's hard to consider this guy boring and it's pretty much the most popular channel I've found that's based around graphics/animation/programming yada yada. Maybe he can be your benchmark.
I got started with C++ primarily because of the Spoonfed and Bucky tutorials and I was dissapointed when they stopped at the basics, if you could make a C++ tutorial series from the very beginning (no experience) to the advanced features of C++ in a way that is entertaining and engaging I'm sure many people would learn from and enjoy it.
That depends, how well do you think you can carry yourself just based on voice alone? To what lengths are you going to go to ensure good quality content? How are you going to make it entertaining? Are you willing to accept that this may very well just crash and burn/not be as popular and will you be able to persevere continue doing it any way?
by Olysold

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely write scripts and such, so that my voice will be able to carry out the tutorial throughout the entire video. I will also have demonstrations of the code and that actual code itself along with that.

I am willing to accept failure and success. I am also not close minded. I will make sure that the video is annotated if better code has been shown to me. I also plan to host the code. I will update that as often as I can.

I got started with C++ primarily because of the Spoonfed and Bucky tutorials and I was dissapointed when they stopped at the basics, if you could make a C++ tutorial series from the very beginning (no experience) to the advanced features of C++ in a way that is entertaining and engaging I'm sure many people would learn from and enjoy it.
by Zephilinox

I think that is a good idea. I plan on starting with the basics. Some tic-tac-toe, hangman, etc. Then building my way up to games. I am going to host all of the source code too.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I was actually thinking of doing this. I got my built-in laptop mic in addition to camstudio ready to go at any moment. Now I just have to pick a time in which my siblings aren't around... (Tomarrow after my exams)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.