sending variables to PHP scripts

Pages: 1... 3456
It falls on admin to straighten this out so that there is no interpretation to the rules.

How 'bout we just use common sense? First, take a gander at the url in your browser. Then ask yourself if posting questions about java is going to be on topic. What does common sense tell you?

Common sense tells me that if I want to participate in a community of Java practitioners, I go to the community that supports practicing Java. Common sense tells me the site "www.cplusplus.com" isn't the site to go to for Java questions. Common sense also tells me that in order to get the best answer to my Java questions, I need to post it in a place where it will be exposed to the most people interested in answering Java questions. Surprise -- "www.cplusplus.com" isn't that place.
yeah but what if I was using java to learn about networking? or wanted a conversation about machine code and chip technology, conversation can be about anything

if type=hidden is a normal post request still going to work? Im glad I am noy using a c++ program to learn this first, the amount of coding/recoding I have been doing has been phenominal
Last edited on
yeah but what if I was using java to learn about networking?

That presupposes an adequate grasp of Java. Then you might try *gasp* a resource devoted to networking.

or wanted a conversation about machine code and chip technology, conversation can be about anything

Sure. Conversation can be about anything. You have a firm grasp of the very, very obvious. That doesn't stop you from having it in a forum where it is on topic when you want the discussion to reach a certain depth or when you need a certain level of expertise or exposure to experts.
well gnu type unix systems are other languages yet they are part of networking, this is a perfect example of useful discussion in other languages.

Besides your taking shit literally, when he specifies that the forum is not for coding, he means that the forum is not where you post c++ code

but yes there are plenty of experts elsewhere but stack overflow is not for beginners, im perma-banned from dream in code and quite frankly java forums are an ugly mess that dont make sense

Last edited on
@cire your whole point goes out the window since we are talking about the off-topic forum in a C++ site. Java is off-topic from C++ which is when you defer to the rules of the forum which unfortunately can be interpreted two ways. Upon this problem, admin has to clarify the rule. If Java questions have no place in off-topic then why even have the off-topic. Just remove this forum completely then we won't have to debate rules any more.

Though, it seems unfair to say a non-c++ programming off-topic question shouldn't be allowed in an off-topic forum, but every other topic under the sun should be allowed.
BHXSpecter wrote:
Just remove this forum completely then we won't have to debate rules any more.
Where will you post?
Allegro.cc
Moosader.com
Gamedev.net
Cprogramming.com
Gamespot
Gamefaqs
The list goes on and on.
You imply that his post count would be zero after deletion of the Lounge.
I used to help in the beginner forum, but got to the point that I was seeing "help me do my homework" or the true questions were already getting help that I just stay in this thread. Even with all my posts I still code, like right now I'm working on a RPG, but I am messing with ideas of how to do the weapon/spell/armor/etc lists like so:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <vector>

using namespace std;

struct Player{
	string name;
	int health;
	int atk;
	int def;
	int mag;
};

struct Weapons{
	string name;
	int atk;
	int price;
};

struct Armors{
	string name;
	int def;
	int price;
};

struct Enemies{
	string name;
	int atk;
	int health;
	int def;
};

int main()
{
	vector<Weapons> swords;
	vector<Weapons> axes;
	vector<Weapons> staffs;

vector<Armors> heavy;
	vector<Armors> light;
	vector<Armors> mage;

vector<Enemies> mobs;
	vector<Enemies> bosses;

Player player;

swords.push_back(Weapons());
	swords.push_back(Weapons());
	mobs.push_back(Enemies());

swords[0].name = "Bastard Sword";
	swords[0].atk = 26;
	swords[0].price = 35;

swords[1].name = "Broad Sword";
	swords[1].atk = 32;
	swords[1].price = 50;

player.name = "Devlin";
	player.health = 100;
	player.def = 20;
	player.atk = 30;
	player.mag = 130;

mobs[0].name = "Wood Troll";
	mobs[0].atk = 24;
	mobs[0].health = 100;
	mobs[0].def = 5;

for (int i = 0; i < 2; i++)
	{
		cout << swords[i].name << ' ' << swords[i].atk << ' ' << swords[i].price << endl;
	}

while(mobs[0].health != 0 || player.health != 0)
	{
		// try new code here, but for the love of God don't run as this is an infinite loop!
		if(mobs[0].health == 0)
			cout << "You have beat " << mobs[0].name << ".\n";
		if(player.health == 0)
			cout << "You died by the hand of the " << mobs[0].name << "\nHave a nice day!";
	}
	return 0;
}
Where's the OOP?
OOP is my weakness. I've never fully understood it, but want to. Until that time I just use what I know for my code tests.
BHXSpecter wrote:
Though, it seems unfair to say a non-c++ programming off-topic question shouldn't be allowed in an off-topic forum, but every other topic under the sun should be allowed.

This isn't about taking away people's freedom to post whatever they want (not even devon's), it's about encouraging people to post in the right forum, in this case, a Java forum.

devonrevenge wrote:
but yes there are plenty of experts elsewhere but stack overflow is not for beginners, im perma-banned from dream in code and quite frankly java forums are an ugly mess that dont make sense

You know what else is an ugly mess that doesn't make sense? This thread.

Edit: added quote names.
Last edited on
@LB I'll give that a read.

Catfish4 wrote:
This isn't about taking away people's freedom to post whatever they want (not even devon's), it's about encouraging people to post in the right forum, in this case, a Java forum.

I can agree with that. I still would like admin or someone to fix the rule to avoid this sort of misinterpretation in the future. I am fine with saying Java needs to be with Java forums, my problem is that too many are using the rule as proof of it when it can be interpreted either way so we need to fix it so that there is no way to misunderstand it and avoid these kind of threads in the future from new users.
Theres plenty of things about coding to be learnt in the lounge, thas what I do, the amount of links and help you guys give is a large percentage of my learning, programmers need psychological support so as to stay strong and encouraged too...and entertainment with a c++ theme.

Its like when I took up basketball, there was one extra good court in brighton, after a while the same people would help me improve and watch my game, why? because my entire playing style was them and part of everyone in the community, you guys help each other loads with all sorts of things and may not realize how much you have learn't from each other, the lounge would be a terrible loss
Last edited on
I strongly encourage you to... post your Java questions in a Java forum.
SUCCESS :D I Didn't encode the data into bytes before I sent it!!!

now I can work on the same thing in c++ :D

sfunny whenever catfish broods I succeed, If I knew him in real life i would poke him for good luck XD

Why didn't you just work on one in C++ to begin with?
You could have posted the C++ one in the general C++ thread and avoided a 5 page long debate on the interpretation of the lounge rule.

Piece of advice (cover your ears):

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO A C++ VERSION TOO, START IT AND ASK ON THIS SITE INSTEAD OF POSTING JAVA QUESTIONS!
I joined a java forum, they are helping me with my c++ version.
Damn, you really are confused. Going to C++ forums to get help with Java and going to Java forums to get help with C++. Doesn't the ride the line of trolling?
Pages: 1... 3456