Lounge - April 2014

Why Makefiles over IDEs?

Why would I use makefiles over ides? Is either one any more scalable for a project? I've been reading a lot about makefiles, But they seem more dependant on va...
[9 replies] Last: Thanks all. I think I'll just stick to using ide's for now. (by DeXecipher)
by LB
Email server?

For fun, I want to be able to receive email to my IP address (using the valid syntax for email addresses allowing IP addresses instead of domain names). I don't...
[8 replies] Last: I've already taken that into consideration and am not affected by it. (by LB)
IRC: a great resource

Join us at irc.quakenet.org/#cplusplus Even if you don't like that channel, there are thousands of others. I have found IRC to be invaluble in my efforts to...
[11 replies] Last: That's just what they want you to think. (by Lachlan Easton)
Having trouble choosing school

I currently attend a community college and I need to start deciding on a university but Im having a very veryhard time deciding what I need to look for. I am...
[8 replies] Last: I would recommend going to meetup.com and finding people who are doing... (by Lowest0ne)
Game Engine programmer?

Hi, i have been programming since i was 12 and i'm now 16. I've just recently been looking at job roles to give me an idea of the skills i need 2 learn. I came ...
[2 replies] Last: A better term for this would be a Generalist basically he can work on ... (by CodeGazer)
Should I Learn C++ From Cplusplus.com

Should i learn C++ from this website every single book ive tried had some problem one didn't work because i couldn't use the existing class they provided ...
[10 replies] Last: If I were you I would learn C++ from a reputable book and use the reso... (by closed account z0My6Up4)
by LB
Midnight CD drive

I have a strange observation here. On my Windows 7 64-bit Toshiba Satellite, every day at midnight exactly, my empty CD drive checks for a disc as if I had open...
[6 replies] Last: Use task manager to see what process is using the system. You can use... (by kbw)
Skype (1,2)

looking for someone at a beginner level to discuss different topics about C++
[25 replies] Last: Only problem with beginners helping beginners is that you have no guar... (by BHX)
Super Bubble Sort Contest

So we all know bubble sorts are a slow way to sort a list. There has already been a forum post on this. Being so, this is the perfect opportunity for this conte...
[7 replies] Last: O(n) "sorting" algorithm: #include <algorithm> #include <functional> ... (by MiiNiPaa)
Game Server Design (1,2,3)

Every single time I try to write a server for my game to enable online play, it ends up a huge, ugly switch statement, and gets error-prone and buggy quickly. D...
[40 replies] Last: Decided to port my code over to SDL2_net. All the code is neatly wrapp... (by closed account N36fSL3A)
by Mats
Roguelike RPG Update && Questions

Some of you may remember a while back I asked some questions about what would make for a decent roguelike ( http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/115777/ ). ...
[2 replies] Last: As Disch pointed out, that is the last thing to worry about. Even AAA ... (by BHX)
LawnCare Madness - 3D mower game

Check out this mower game I am working on for school! http://youtu.be/iEuSYJOfTdg
[19 replies] Last: My question is, are the grass tiles just 3D planes with a grass textu... (by Hambone)
Bluescreen and can't update

The computer of my friend is getting crazy. He has windows 7 and, sometimes, suddenly his computer restarts after a bluescreen appeared on the screen, like thi...
[12 replies] Last: excuse my language, but hirens is fucking amazing. hirens just isnt a ... (by Little Bobby Tables)
Starting an OS from a LiveCD

Hello! I have a computer, which the internal hard disk is broken. Therefore, I thought that I could make an OS start from a LiveCD version. If it works, where ...
[6 replies] Last: Clonezilla runs off of some *nix distro and also offers a bit-by-bit i... (by Computergeek01)
How do you make programs run faster (1,2)

Is it about the code? Like less definitions will make the program faster? Or something else?
[21 replies] Last: I think angiemailo was just spamming anyways. I had to report them for... (by BHX)
simple exam questions about loops catch me out, any help

Have you ever had an exam question where a few nested for loops print their numbers and a new line in a certain succession and you get asked what the output mig...
[4 replies] Last: I wonder if a good optimizer would pick up on that. Dead code elimina... (by MiiNiPaa)
NES Emulator (1,2)

Okay so I decided to suck it up and just start to redo my previously lost NES emulator. I haven't worked on anything NES-related recently so this is all new to ...
[25 replies] Last: Pre-emptive multithreading, yes. It's not worth the hassle. Co-op mu... (by Disch)
Confusing Scientific Thought experiment of mine? (1,2,3)

Hi, So when I woke up, I had a thought experiment. Imagine taking Earth and shoot it at near C (Speed of Light) and we know as objects moves faster the mass ...
[59 replies] Last: You can just look at Newton's law of gravity to see why this is (don't... (by Mats)
C++ Book

I want buy a book about c++ ,can anyone suggest
[3 replies] Last: Also this link: https://isocpp.org/get-started (by BHX)
by Mats
E.T Atari Legend

So the legend was true! http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/26/film-crew-finds-atari-et-games-new-mexico Did anyone here own or play this? Was it re...
[1 reply] : I owned it and loved it. Of course I love all games even sucky ones so... (by BHX)
April 2014 Pages: 123... 8
  Archived months: [mar2014] [may2014]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.