Lounge - August 2017

too long complicated programs?

Hello guys and gals. I have been studying c++ for more than a year now and one thing that i have noticed is that if you search for a program on google many of ...
[no replies]
Shoutout

This webpage and forum community has helped me a lot while I was learning C++, so I believe a shoutout is in order. The reference material here was lifesaving,...
[1 reply] : LOL, nice to hear you're doing well! (by Duthomhas)
by BHX
friend's file issue

To open MPP files you need Microsoft Project Management program. I don't know off the top of my head how to open them without that program.
[no replies]
Opinion on smart watches

Hey guys, My girlfirend's birthday is coming up so it is time for me to start thinking about what to get her:P. She has expressed in the past that she real...
[no replies]
Linux network sockets question

Hi guys, I have probably a dumb question regarding sockets in linux networking. When a server expects to recieve requests it needs to "bind" to a port so th...
[1 reply] : > When the server sends data back to the client how does it get back t... (by JLBorges)
Tutoring Strategies

Hi all, I thought this might be a good discussion topic: What's your style of tutoring and any strategies that provide a more successful learning experien...
[3 replies] Last: Great ideas, thanks masecla33! vivekdwivedi, what kind of stories do... (by Little Captain)
Coding while listening to music?

Have you ever tried listening to music while coding? do you believe that doing this will help you become more creative and focused? I would like to hear your th...
[10 replies] Last: @Duthomhas No, everything I create [both music and code] is just for... (by BHX)
C++ Discord

The discord group that I mentioned in lounge a while back has been growing. Over 500 users have joined the channel and still more come each day. Feel free to ...
[no replies]
How to become a better programmer?

I was wondering if anyone can give me (a CS major in college) some advice on how to improve my programming abilities. I know for a fact that as a programmer/sof...
[6 replies] Last: While you're at it, it might be beneficial to pick up a query language... (by Cheraphy)
by zepher
ShanKoDev's sudoku game

Just saw a link from facebook for ShanKoDevs sudoku solver found at http://www.shankodev.com/sudoku and it seems to solve the most difficult puzzles very, very ...
[3 replies] Last: According to the check rules then it would seem as if the online sudok... (by zepher)
How much is my website worth?

Hello Guys! I just wondering how much will my website sell for? The website has been live for over 4 years, it is PR3 it has over 280000+ backlinks. Daily tr...
[2 replies] Last: Lol in all seriousness this probably isn't the best place to ask for a... (by Z e r e o)
by subba
Soap calls in C++ threads

I am calling a java web service method from shared library(which uses soap calls generated by gsoap tools) in C++ thread.when I run this code its generating ...
[no replies]
The Stoic Job Search: Rejection and Opportunity by Andrew Overby

Looking at potential next jobs, you’ll see some good and some worse, many that are irksome and disagreeable, and others that excite. Some opportunities will c...
[8 replies] Last: "Assuming the worst outcome in any situation." is pessimism. Cynicism... (by closed account 1vRz3TCk)
Working for a homework service

Is there someone here who works for a homework service? I am looking for some information on how these sites work and what they pay. Can someone give me some ...
[no replies]
Just finished my first SFML project!

Hey guys, I recently started using SFML, and made a clone of the classic game Snake! I am really enjoying usage of the library, and plan on making more games wi...
[1 reply] : Well, usually it is not wise to download a .exe form an unstrusted sou... (by coder777)
Automatic backup software for servers

When my server lease expires (Jan 2018) I'm planning on moving to a physical computer sat in my flat and I want to make sure that the data is safe. I'm thin...
[10 replies] Last: That's called "ZFS on root". It can be done but it's a little bit tric... (by helios)
Lessons to learn from the old well implemented projects: Prince of Persia and Doom3

Currently many mature libraries and frameworks exist for each programming language and many advanced features were added to the languages. But what about the ol...
[2 replies] Last: @helios: What do you mean? It's very educational for what not to do fo... (by BHX)
by leo255
Question about Preparation for Job Interviews

Hello, I just passed my thesis defense (for my Masters in Computer Science) last Wednesday...Pretty darn happy about that. Now comes the fun part of apply...
[1 reply] : Before applying make a good portfolio with your personal projects (sch... (by Golden Lizard)
View full site button

Why do we need this button when visiting websites on cellphone platform? I mean, can't we go straight for the full site the same way it happens on PC without be...
[1 reply] : Well, the idea is that on a tiny screen with an imprecise pointing dev... (by helios)
Test Driven Development is alive and well

Despite what you might have heard around the industry and on the Internet, Test Driven Development (TDD) is not dead. The practice is still alive and well, esp...
[3 replies] Last: Modern Dev Practices Unit Testing high Published on Jul 3, 2017 ... (by closed account 1vRz3TCk)
August 2017 Pages: 12
  Archived months: [jul2017] [sep2017]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.