Lounge - December 2012 (Page 2)

Functional Languages and Programming Competitions

Why are there no functional languages allowed in competitions like the IOI, the COCI, ect?
[4 replies] Last: [quote=Script Coder]So? They might have a disadvantage with speed. No... (by chrisname)
Windows Metro - FUGLY

I'm no oil painting myself but is Windows METRO possibly too UGLY to succeed.
[10 replies] Last: The most beautiful thing is the command line EDIT: im beautiful (by devonrevenge)
JetBrains is having an "End of the World Sale"

I just bought Resharper 7 and IntelliJ Idea 12 for $100, regualar $400. Not sure how many people on a C++ forum would be interested in this, but just figured I...
[5 replies] Last: Spoiler alert. We didn't die. Someday. (by Catfish3)
by Cubbi
arrays first vs. vectors first (1,2)

I am constantly surprised to see people who are supposedly learning C++ attempting to solve problems using arrays and pointers while being completely unfamiliar...
[29 replies] Last: My university did. They offer a couple different language courses a se... (by ResidentBiscuit)
by dubsy
Hey all. I'm new.

So hey all. I wanted to join a C++ forum community, and I decided upon this one. I've come from Java and VB.NET, and a tad bit of some other web development stu...
[10 replies] Last: Poor new guy, here is just introducing him/herself and we've detailed ... (by ResidentBiscuit)
Tutorial's struct and class needs tweaking

From Classes(I) http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/classes/ All is very similar to the declaration on data structures, except that we can now include also func...
[no replies]
Programming is just bit manipulation.

No matter how complex, how large, how many people worked on it, any program is just simply manipulating bits. Turn some on, turn others off. How do you all feel...
[19 replies] Last: @Ceraphy, I was going to ask "how is that related" until I realized I ... (by hamsterman)
Rants and Rigs

So I built a monster of a computer last December with money I had been putting aside for ages. I spent like 8 hours tweaking my Windows 7 install to be exactly ...
[10 replies] Last: what sort of work you are involved in? It's in my profile, finance (... (by Cubbi)
SFML! Is alright... (1,2)

Decided to grab SFML again, but this time for my Linux box. Anyway, after grabbing the latest 2.0-rc, unpacking in the right area, getting the OpenGL dependenci...
[36 replies] Last: @Naraku, I'm assuming he was being sarcastic. (by ResidentBiscuit)
DevonRevenge's decoding challenge #1: I scrambled a sentence can you decode it(with algorithm provided) (1,2)

So i scrambled a sentence with a function that was 16 lines of code usigfqedtwjsvusygih EDIT: I have no idea how easy its gonna be;if its too hard i...
[25 replies] Last: wfihhqyyjoinxszggehrlfojlxwwaicdzvca fcefqbtykfirhozblonsddpylptwe... (by Catfish3)
Useless C++ features

Hey guys! What C++ features are useless? What C++ features that you love, like or dislike?
[14 replies] Last: typeof or __typeof__ is a common compiler extension to C. It is su... (by Cubbi)
What if you had a genie (1,2)

This has nothing to do with programming, but i was wondering what you guys would do if you had 3 wishes from a genie and why. No wishing for more wishes! I'll s...
[33 replies] Last: Yeah, the communism wishes aren't the result of me wanting to live in ... (by ascii)
Recursion

Google "recursion". Notice anything?
[5 replies] Last: That is wonderfully clever. +1 for Google! (by Thumper)
What order should i learn things by? what order did you learn everything

I heard lots of you get to help develop open source games for fun, can i do that yet? anything else i can do? do you have any direction for learning, with bucki...
[7 replies] Last: be nice if someone answered the question EDIT:they will one day, and ... (by devonrevenge)
DirectX learning question...

Hi everybody and actually I have some interest (DirectX programming)... My first program is making a simple Tick Tack Toe program using DirectX. I want to mak...
[1 reply] : DirectX (and OpenGL) supports every graphical possibility. However, no... (by closed account zb0S216C)
OpenMW version 0.20.0 is out

OpenMW is a new engine for 2002's Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. This is our ninth release for 2012! Pretty good for a volunteer project. It ...
[no replies]
coding or women? (1,2,3,4)

say if you had to choose.
[65 replies] Last: [quote=Sharpie] hmmmm...... this is the ultimate question I would choo... (by BHX)
I CANT STUDY BECAUSE ALL I WANT TO DO IS PROGRAM!!!

Ok guys heres the deal. Ive got my mock exams this week and if I dont stop programming I am definitely going to fail!!! (Well I wont fail. Maybe get a C. BUT TH...
[14 replies] Last: @Sharpie, Where are you from? If you don't mind me asking. (by ResidentBiscuit)
Site Down

From the posting times...it seems like the site was down for a while. It wasn't just me right?
[5 replies] Last: Ya, I couldnt get on the whole day! (by Sharpie)
Got the day off, what to write?

So I got a Monday off for once, but now I'm bored of playing Xbox so I want to program something, anything, but I have no ideas right now. What's something I co...
[15 replies] Last: Yeah, that's how it works. Once libav has decoded a packet, you just h... (by chrisname)
December 2012 Pages: 1234... 6
  Archived months: [nov2012] [jan2013]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.