Lounge - January 2013

Good programming podcasts?

So everyday at work I tend be to just listening to music or other random stuff while I work. So I figured this might be a good time to listen to lectures on pro...
[4 replies] Last: Ya ill look it up thanks cstarter (by closed account 3qX21hU5)
What's your desk?

I'm looking for a new desk to work on. I would like something with more room, where I can have papers and books laying out that I can reference to while I work....
[6 replies] Last: I built mine. The wood, hardware and paint came to roughly $100 CAD th... (by Oria)
Function member address (solved)

Hi everybody again! Some questions I asked yesterday were interrupted. I only have some questions with boost library... coder777 : I still believe v...
[3 replies] Last: [quote=computerquip]Mission accomplished in 1. 100 points! Yeah, ... (by Imadatobanisa2)
QBASIC as an introductory language?

I'm taking a low level introductory comp sci course and all the programming is done in QBASIC. The instructor and I had a laugh about how horrible BASIC's synta...
[9 replies] Last: It all depends on the the persons learning style. Some people learn be... (by closed account 3qX21hU5)
Going to Chico

Hi everyone, I've been programming as a hobby for the last year or so, but I'm finally going to take the plunge and take actual college classes for a bachel...
[1 reply] : Have you checked this out? http://csci.ecst.csuchico.edu/courses/csci ... (by ResidentBiscuit)
Wireless Mouse Compatibility

Hey guys, I lost the usb part to my mouse, but my mom found one that's not the one I bought with this mouse. We live 400 miles apart, so I don't want to ask...
[4 replies] Last: Just buy a new mouse. My wireless mouse from BestBuy cost me ~15 dolla... (by ResidentBiscuit)
New child language - (Function member address (structure)) (1,2,3,...,17,18,19,20)

I'm working on a big project. The project is just "my child language" because my interpreter has not been named yet. This is a C++ project; I'm using the powerf...
[382 replies] Last: I am writing by my mobile - sorry for my english. But, Who reported my... (by Imadatobanisa)
Hello!

Hey everyone my name is Colin. I am just starting to learn C++ and found this site! I have been following a series by TheNewBoston on youtube, and know very lit...
[1 reply] : You can find some general guidelines in the beginners forum (Should be... (by closed account 3qX21hU5)
by BHX
Personal Programming Problem Frustration

Well I finally broke down and listened to others. They thought my problems with C++ was the language and insisted that I learn other languages to solve the prob...
[9 replies] Last: At least everyone here are helping me. When I posted this problem else... (by BHX)
by Disch
People that put "this->" before members: (1,2)

Why?
[30 replies] Last: [quote=SIK]could you provide an example of a compiler that does not ac... (by Cubbi)
I heard a good way to practice is to fiddle with an open source game.

does anyone have any advice for absolute beginners on this? it sounds a little bit intimidating, will it be c++ and an api on top? will you have to have prior k...
[7 replies] Last: Game engine development is never easy. Even the simpler engines are qu... (by closed account zb0S216C)
Maths Help

[quote=Math Textbook]Show that the expression: (((((5^x)+(5^-x))/2)^2)-1)^0.5 simplifies to: ((5^x)-(5^-x))/2 Would anyone with more maths experi...
[1 reply] : Never mind, I solved it (okay well I had help). First you times out th... (by Script Coder)
by LB
Coder7777 (1,2,3,4)

What happened to just three sevens? Is this like Catfish2/3/4? People and their usernames on this forum, jeez.
[63 replies] Last: Upon searching for spoonlicker I found an Amercian ip address marked ... (by Catfish3)
by LB
Guilt is a selfish feeling (for me) (1,2,3,4,5)

I have Asperger's (a form of Autism) and I feel emotions in a completely different way from other people. In fact, my emotions aren't even real emotions. Spe...
[82 replies] Last: chance of stupid comment = Stress*surprise/wisdom+IQ (by devonrevenge)
Mathematica log

Does anyone know where I can find a detailed outline of the changes from mathematica 8 to 9. I have some code that works on 8 but not on 9, and I cannot work ou...
[no replies]
Good Books For Pre-College Student (1,2)

As the title states, I am looking for good(can be read free) fiction books, that a programmer would enjoy. When I say programmer I mean do not suggest books lik...
[22 replies] Last: I'm making a late New Years resolution never to eat food that I didn't... (by chrisname)
Personal Wikis?

Anyone have a wiki that they use for their own personal use? I'm thinking of getting one to organize documentation and step-by-step instructions for various tas...
[2 replies] Last: Trac :) (by Zaita)
question for support people

My wife works for a small non-profit and in about a year and a half it will be time for them to upgrade their server. They would like to go to a "cloud" and hav...
[11 replies] Last: @chwsks First of all you need to describe the functionality they get f... (by Zaita)
Collab Coding

I was thinking about getting my friend to help me code my game (First I would have to teach him C++)... He's eager to learn, but I need a good realtime updater ...
[9 replies] Last: @NGen that is a terrible approach, and suggestion. Because you only ge... (by Zaita)
Is it normal to be so slow at programming?

Hey there! Just wondering, is it normal to be slow at programming? By that, I mean that everyone in my class always seems to finish things way way before I d...
[15 replies] Last: You cant really base what your speed will be until you get more experi... (by closed account 3qX21hU5)
January 2013 Pages: 123... 5
  Archived months: [dec2012] [feb2013]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.