Lounge - July 2013

Interesting Topic: Battlefield 3 (Technical Question)

For this game (or any game in general), how is RAM (Main Memory not Cache Memory) actually called and used during gameplay? For example, when I shoot my gun doe...
[6 replies] Last: ^Yep, efficient optimization. (by closed account 9wqjE3v7)
open source space cadet pinball?

i am making a virtual flynns arcade using mame and sdl, but i realized i wanted to add space cadet pinball. the issue is that i dont think i can actually implem...
[no replies]
by Smac89
[LINUX USERS] Google drive application for linux [LINUX USERS}

Many of you who are on Linux and use Google drive may have noticed that the once amazing Insync is not working anymore. Sign the petition to let Google know tha...
[no replies]
Did any of you learn programming while in high school?

How did you guys balance being in school(maybe being in clubs or sports, and having friends) while also learning computer science?
[13 replies] Last: They teach Computer Science as an elective at my school, Comp Sci 1 an... (by LB)
Part Time Job or Program

Would you rather spend your time working at part time job that doesn't involve any programming. Or would you rather stay home and learn to program.
[2 replies] Last: ^^^^^^^exactly (by Paoletti301)
C++ Compiler for OS X

What is a good compiler for OS X other than Xcode? I have googled this a lot, but I couldn't find quite the right one. Thank you!
[7 replies] Last: It doesn't compile anything, so I guess it is a text editor. It does ... (by closed account jwkNwA7f)
Brain mixed languages...

Dang. Just spent a half-hour hunting down a bug... I couldn't figure out where a bool value was getting flipped in code that was previously working... Becaus...
[7 replies] Last: Ah, re: ne555 's post: ¿didn't you receive a `variable is used befo... (by Duthomhas)
PC games and malware

For the last 3 or 4 years, I have kept my PC clear of mainstream video games due to a distrust, and incidents where PC games install malware on your system. ...
[14 replies] Last: one thing you should always trust imo is the download more ram ads. th... (by closed account Dy7SLyTq)
Recommend me a book on beginners CS

Hello everyone. I've been studying C++ programming for a year. I'm starting university this year, where I will be studying Business Computer Science. I wanted t...
[3 replies] Last: @Grey Wolf Thanks for the quick reply, I will have a look at the book... (by benbalach)
STL tutorial

What is a good tutorial on the Standard Template Library (vectors, etc.)? Thank you!
[4 replies] Last: Apache C++ Standard Library User's Guide is perhaps the best tutorial ... (by JLBorges)
What age did you start programming (1,2,3,4,5)

Just curious. I started when I was 12.
[90 replies] Last: Started since I was 8 (VB&VBS) 9 (Still VB&VBS) 10 (C++) 11 (Still C++... (by Code Apperentice)
Game Dev - Handling Enemy Waves and Pathing

So currently me and scriptcoder are working on a little project for fun and it is a simple 2D vertical space shooter. Anyways I was wondering how you guys woul...
[17 replies] Last: A better argument would have been >I wonder how finely I'll have to d... (by ne555)
C++

Hi everybody, I`m 16 years old and I want to start learning C++, but here in mine country the programmers are good but number of them is damn small, and is not ...
[1 reply] : Please edit your topic and move it to the Lounge section. With regard... (by Catfish4)
Did this really just happen? (1,2)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/18/0spn.png Or am I dreaming?
[26 replies] Last: I think I read the sticky first... I always read those before posting... (by Veltas)
My new vector

I've just upgraded my MSVC compiler from 2008 to 2010. Now I come with my new vector - it's much simpler than the previous one. Here's my changes : - Added fu...
[3 replies] Last: Re: Use of memcpy as opposed to std::copy I'm worried about perform... (by cire)
Motivation

I've been learning python from a really really big book. I have all the basics on lock down but the author explains in so much detail i get bored quite quickly ...
[2 replies] Last: do cool stuff with the things you learn. i know it sounds stupid, but ... (by ritka)
by Hertz
Should a 13 year old be learning about 3D mathematics? (1,2,3,4,5)

I am 13 years old and I have been programming c++ for 4 years now. I started learning about game development about a year ago and now I am reading up on OpenGL...
[85 replies] Last: Yes. Joining site discussions just to look forward to being called a D... (by closed account N36fSL3A)
What's with the age topics?

I always see "Should I be doing " x "when I'm only" y "years old". Or "Why do people give me crap for being a " x "year old programmer?" Seriously, mos...
[6 replies] Last: Odds are you don't know what linear algebra is when your still in elem... (by closed account o1vk4iN6)
best office client

im interning at a company and they are having me audit content that gets uploaded to their site. i dont have microsoft office or open office installed so ive ju...
[8 replies] Last: Open Office is good. (by closed account jwkNwA7f)
Evolution of the hacker

So while i came after this time, when I hear hacker I think Richard Stallman, Linus Torvald, Bajarne Stroustrop, ie i think of it in the old sense. How is it th...
[9 replies] Last: yeah its just my imagination picturing these computers out in the open... (by devonrevenge)
July 2013 Pages: 123... 9
  Archived months: [jun2013] [aug2013]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.