Lounge - March 2013 (Page 4)

Some general questions about computer science....

1.How does the CPU know what/where to write the bytes to the system bus or memory mapped region to send data to I/O devices, like graphics cards, PCI cards, etc...
[5 replies] Last: Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the GPU handle most of this? T... (by popapushamov)
Why I love C++ (1,2)

I've spent the last few days programming in assembly for a 68000 chip and now I'm all sentimental over C++. That's why. :-)
[26 replies] Last: ^ Agreed. I wouldn't want to be managing memory in an FP language, it ... (by chrisname)
Platform Abstraction

Is there a standard way??? If so, then what is the standard way, in your experience that softwares abstract the platform (os/compiler) away from the software sy...
[7 replies] Last: @Zereo I appreciate the words of encouragement, thanks. I was coding m... (by DeXecipher)
partitioning the windows os

so i was going to try out windows programming for a while and wiped my terabyte harddrive. but i missed linux so i downloaded a natty iso and burned it to disc....
[no replies]
Why people are stupid with computers....

looks like someone is pissed about their buying decision and has made a troll account to just to post twice.
[4 replies] Last: [quote=DeXecipher]looks like op deleted his post. lol. Its best to quo... (by closed account z05DSL3A)
What audio creation software do you guys use?

I found this -> yesterday and I just can't stop playing with it. BTW, kudos to those who can recognize where this is from -> . http://www.warmplace.ru/...
[no replies]
by LB
Audio techniques

I've been thinking about sound. It's possible to add sound together, right? So why is it so seldom seen that you subtract sound? I know about noise cancellation...
[10 replies] Last: Theoretically it should be possible to factor out X to some reasonabl... (by Disch)
by Bahama
Check out my 6502 Assembly source for a cool game! :D

I wrote all of this just in my plain old 64-bit text editor on Windows 7 today; it took me almost six hours to do so, but check it out! The source needs to be ...
[6 replies] Last: Can you put game onto mediafire.com? Can't go to filedropper... (by greenleaf800073)
boot into recovery on android

so i have an htc desire hd, and i upgraded it to jelly bean (idk what it was before). before i did so i backed everything up to ext4 on my sd card, but i cant r...
[1 reply] : nvr mnd (by closed account Dy7SLyTq)
Web development languages?

So i have an idea of making a website for Meme quizzes... I know c++ and some java already but i am wondering which web development language is best suited ...
[8 replies] Last: If you're looking to parse a file on the server you'll want to use P... (by ModShop)
Weed (1,2,3,4,5,6)

Well, the studies are out, it decreases short term memory and will drop your IQ up to 8 points. I used to be all for it but now.... I think we should quit makin...
[103 replies] Last: Strange that no-one would think to put that on the Wikipedia page. ... (by SIK)
writing viruses to a rescue disc?

so before anyone thinks im making viruses, i downloaded this linux iso meant to be used as a rescue disc and it occured to me, if i use it to rescue a linux sys...
[5 replies] Last: it was called boot_rescue_disc i found it on source forge (by closed account Dy7SLyTq)
development of arrays?

so i understand the value of keeping built-in arrays in c++, for things like compatibilty with old software, but if std::vector is significantly better, why sti...
[14 replies] Last: Lol, I don't like to see people unnecessarily suffer... sometimes :p... (by ModShop)
dell inspirion drivers?

im running a dell inspirion 1440 with windows 7 which originally had vista. somehow my graphics driver is still with vista. are there drivers for 7?
[5 replies] Last: and anyways there is the possibilty that i had missed something so i f... (by closed account Dy7SLyTq)
I hate mass effect 3 ending, and why do people think AI is dangerous? that's stupid

Im seriously disappointed with the ending of mass effect 3. For those that don't know it the whole plot is based on a mystery, and at the end you find the myst...
[5 replies] Last: Oria, I think we may be separated twins lol (by ResidentBiscuit)
Ancient aliens

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1303/1303.1845.pdf What do you think?
[9 replies] Last: @Framework, Zereo If they manage to reach us, then they must be waaaaa... (by chrisname)
Meeting C++ 2013 - Call for Papers

Hello C++ Community! This years Meeting C++ conference has been announced yesterday, it is again at the 2nd Weekend of November in Düsseldorf. This time th...
[no replies]
has anyone done this source forge project yet?

i was browsing through source forge when i came across this. has anyone done it? is it for real? https://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelloader/?source=director...
[1 reply] : Haven't tried it but looks like every other bootloader out there. And ... (by closed account 3qX21hU5)
CMAKE help

im running cmake to set up sfml, but its giving me errors. i cant find anything wrong with the line heres the line: cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8) h...
[4 replies] Last: http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v2.8.10/cmake.html#section_Generators (by closed account o1vk4iN6)
C++ Compiler

Does anyone know of any suitable online C++ Compiler that similar to Microsoft Visual C++ compiler?
[10 replies] Last: it keeps crashing on me (by closed account Dy7SLyTq)
March 2013 Pages: 123456... 8
  Archived months: [feb2013] [apr2013]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.