Lounge - October 2012 (Page 2)

by helios
Halting problem

I was looking at the proof of undecidability of the problem on Introduction to the Theory of Computation , and it doesn't make much sense to me. I was hoping s...
[12 replies] Last: Quick, Everyone Digress! What, in public? (by closed account z05DSL3A)
Donnie Darko (1,2)

So...best movie ever? Yes? We all agree? good. Discuss.
[34 replies] Last: All time best movie since movies.....Enter The Dragon. Even with the s... (by dtaqee88)
DirectX vs. Any other Library?

I am competent in c++ and am ready to apply my programming skill to start making games. I started using the DarkGDK library, which I found to be quite easy and ...
[15 replies] Last: Conversely games like TF2 and Borderlands 2 have an interesting art st... (by chrisname)
Windows 8 Surface Price Outrage!! (1,2,3)

This may not sound relevant to C++, but is anyone else disappointed at the prices Microsoft announced for the Surface RT? I mean, $500 for the 32gb RT tablet w...
[52 replies] Last: If it's still in warranty you should take it back. If it's not in warr... (by chrisname)
Natural language parsing

I'm creating a chatbot that pulls posts from BBS style forums as it's input for learning, but I can't decide which method of natural parsing I should work with....
[no replies]
AMD processor (1,2)

my friend gave me his desktop to make it faster. i took it all out and dusted everything off. He has 4 gigs of ram so i dont think thats the problem so im think...
[23 replies] Last: You spend money when you have money to spend Anyway, I'm not that sma... (by maeriden)
Durand-Kerner Method Polynomial Roots

Hello world! I've been learning C++ for a few weeks now. I already know MATLAB and python, so I'm not a complete beginner. I've written the following code us...
[3 replies] Last: [quote=BrentSpinor] I didn't realize new could be used with variable-... (by ModShop)
you guys have been really helpful, i feel bad that i cant give much back yet..any ideas?

ive asked the most questons in the past few days but i havnt really been able to help anyone on the grounds of being a massive beginner...first tme i havent got...
[8 replies] Last: Usually a simple "cheers" and marking as solved will suffice. :-) Ab... (by MrHutch)
by dalawh
Search algorithms

I have only learned basic search algorithms like linear and binary search. I was wondering if there were any more searches out there? For unsorted arrays, you ...
[1 reply] : I just bought the 4 volume set of "The Art of Computer Programming" an... (by htirwin)
Quick arithmetic question

Given a number (call it x), how do you (programatically) find the following multiple of another number (255)? For example, if x is 0, the following multiple of ...
[5 replies] Last: Thanks, that looks good. I think I'll use m4ster r0shi's one. (by chrisname)
by LB
Dylan

I've been looking at Dylan recently (http://opendylan.org/ ) and I think it is a really nice language. I haven't seen any mention of Dylan here so I thought I'd...
[11 replies] Last: I think the issue with copyright in that case is that people can get t... (by LB)
C++ In Browser Compiler

I am looking for a free compiler for c++ that will run in the browser. I have tried codepad and compilr already. I don't want to have to download any files to...
[13 replies] Last: Well, your definition is wrong. To download is to receive data from a ... (by chrisname)
by Aceix
En/Decryption Project

Hello World, I'm working on a project and I would like any of you to take a look, and post any suggestions, at any time you get. **NOTE** The project is not ye...
[1 reply] : Not to sound harsh, but that isn't encryption. All your doing is swap... (by naraku9333)
by Aceix
MD5 header file

Hello World, I am looking for an MD5 header file, even though I know this algorithm is now hackable. I have got some code to encrypt. Now I want code to decr...
[7 replies] Last: Thank you v.much! Aceix. (by Aceix)
A sample collection to aid in studying typical misprints and mistakes in C/C++ programming

This post is intended for those who write articles and books on the subject of creating high-quality C/C++ code or security issues. While studying various pr...
[2 replies] Last: There is no comparison with Coverity. They do not give us a version fo... (by AndreyKarpov)
Java vs c++ (1,2)

Hello everyone. i was wondering what would you recommend after fully learning python java or c++. thanks in advance
[29 replies] Last: Except some parts of computer science deal specifically with the way a... (by helios)
Programming by guessing?

I found that when implementing complex algorithms for the first time it is usually much faster to guess the solution and debug it, rather than actually spending...
[7 replies] Last: I disagree. I've done it both ways. "Guessing" only works if you have ... (by Duthomhas)
by LB
You can't finalize a design before you start coding (1,2)

It bothers me when people say that before they start writing code they plan it all out on paper first. This is a completely insane statement as it completely co...
[20 replies] Last: LabVIEW doesn't use any "code" at all, but it is a programming languag... (by LB)
Any tips for learning Python (Web programming)

I want to learn Python. I'm already experienced with PHP, C++, Java. Very tiny bit of knowledge of PERL as well. I don't know where to start (online tutorials o...
[1 reply] : How to run Python code without a website? Well, you need to install Py... (by rapidcoder)
Profile details/commenting on artciles

Apologies if this has been discussed before (I did do a quick search, but ended up with a list of people profiles!) Might it be of benefit if people could indi...
[1 reply] : As far as the profile stuff goes, there are fields for all of that dat... (by Computergeek01)
October 2012 Pages: 12345
  Archived months: [sep2012] [nov2012]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.