Anyone got some spare time?

Pages: 12
Hey I was wondering if you guys could test this ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/engtests/files/?source=navbar ) for me to see if it'll work across the various *nix distros please?

You might have to install some openAL stuff to get it to run, it's nothing scary, just a small engine and tiling test for a personal project of mine that I hope to get cross platform. I don't actually know if it's actually cross platform or not yet, as I just have my one machine to test with, so any feedback would be very much appreciated :D
Last edited on
distribute source code instead of binary.
Also, try to reduce the size of the audio files.
I'm was afraid of giving source due to embarrassment of my very sloppy coding style for this project, but it's here ( https://github.com/drew887/openENG ).

Also I've been meaning to getting around to making it play mp3's, but I've been distracted with tiling and other projects :P
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Don't give them source code. Seriously, if it compiles on your machine it ought to work. Take the binary and run it if you're testing.
Well it is supposed to be openSource, so I guess I had to share it eventually :P
Please don't use mp3, it's a horrid format with a horrid license. OGG is a much better format and it is used almost exclusively in games.
You know, I don't know why I didn't give ogg a thought, it's even opensource :|

I was hoping to eventually get it playing .it or even just .mod to save space and get a lot of those classic feels into the game
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
I am going to test..ill tell u the result once done

Edit: WOrks on Ubuntu 12.04 but what is the goal?
Last edited on
Fredbill30 wrote:
Don't give them source code. Seriously, if it compiles on your machine it ought to work. Take the binary and run it if you're testing.

You are much more trusting of random Internet folk than the rest of us.
drew887 wrote:
I was hoping to eventually get it playing .it [...] and get a lot of those classic feels into the game
I like your thinking :)
@LB
Yeah, I really miss the olden days of video game music. Not to say that all the orchestrated music we here nowadays isn't awesome, but it definitely doesn't have the same feeling as the old stuff O: .

@CaptainBlastXD
The goal was just to see if the executable would actually work across various distros, I can only test with my Ubuntu 10.04 machine and a #! live usb, so I was hoping to see if it would run across several machines without any changes.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well I had the ps2 when I was little and when I was 2 I had the genesis and I definately know what you guys mean.
FredBill30 wrote:
when I was 2 I had the genesis

I'm sure you have very fond memories of that at the tender age of 2.
aww man, I still have my genesis, I LOOOVED that system
I'll test it on my computer later when I have more free time.

Fredbill30 wrote:
Well I had the ps2 when I was little and when I was 2 I had the genesis and I definately know what you guys mean.

PS2 and Genesis?

I grew up with the Atari 2600, then went to NES, Gameboy, Super Nintendo, Genesis, Game Gear, N64, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation Portable, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Xbox, PS3, Wii and may end up getting a PS4 and Ouya (just for fun), but I have no interest in 360 or Xbox One and only played the display they had of the Virtual Boy.

I've played more consoles than I have computers as you can see. Though I've used a few OSes in my time too. Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98 (and 98SE), XP, 2000, Vista, Windows 7 and 8, Mandrake, Mandriva, RedHat, Fedora, Knoppix, Ubuntu, Debian, and finally Crunchbang.

Played with a TRS-DOS 80 my senior year.

[EDIT] Works fine under Crunchbang....turns out I had free time now.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Holy crap that's a lot of stuff! I grew up on a farm with my NES, SNES, and Genesis until we moved to the city where I was then introduced to the N64 and Gameboy Colour, GBA, PS1, Gamecube, PC gaming, NDS, PSP Wii, PSV, and 3DS. TRS-DOS sounds like it would have been a blast to play with :P

And Awesome :D. It thankfully seems to be working across lots of systems, I've posted else where and Fedora, Gentoo, and Debian all seem to be clear. Thanks for the help guys :D
The first console I remember as a kid was the NES. I was pretty young when we got that. I remember playing the living hell out of the SNES though. We also had the original gameboy and all gameboys up through that little flip one that brought in the small cartridges. We had an N64 which is probably my all time favorite console. That was the majority of my childhood. I can't tell you how many times I played through Zelda:OoT and MM. And goldeneye was always a classic for having friends over. Then we got a PS1 and Sega genesis at some point. Then PS2, xbox and gamecube, then I bought myself a 360 and PS3.

My dad loved video games, only reason we had so many consoles throughout my childhood. Probably where I got my love of games from. Those were the days...
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting one of these guys ( http://openpandora.org/ ) to have all the old goodies on the go; with the added option of programming :P
with the version of jul 9
I don't hear anything
There's `lag' when resizing the window
It ignores the `close' event

3.9.9-1-ARCH x86_64

> I'm was afraid of giving source due to embarrassment of my very sloppy coding style for this project
you can improve a lot with peer review.
¿do you want comments on your source code?
It ignores the 'close' event
- What close event?
I don't hear anything
-for the july 9th version i had turned off the sound for testing and forgotten to turn it back on, so it's okay that you don't hear anything :P

¿do you want comments on your source code?
- yes please :D

Pages: 12