Homebrew and pkg-config libraries

Good afternoon everyone.

I have a small application I've created that uses the library gtk+-3.0. I'm able to build it fine on my Linux machines. So, I decided to try it on my Mac machine. I used homebrew to install the GTK+ 3 library, and the library and dependencies built as expected. However, when I try to build my application, the build fails. This is due to a `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-3.0` section I have in my script to build the binary. It says that different packages (one example is pixman) that were not in the pkg-config search path.

Okay, we'll I understand that, but homebrew says that it did not add it to the pkg-config search path because OS X already supplies it. If it does, does anyone know where these pre-installed libraries are located and how to add the '.pc' file to my pkg-config search path? I don't see the point in using brew if I have to add everything manually, so am I missing something/using brew the wrong way?

Thanks in advance everyone
This doesn't directly answer your question, but here it is.

I found Homebrew somewhat immature and targeted at the Ruby community. So I didn't waste any time on it.

I have used MacPorts and went back to Fink. Macports installs into /opt/macports, and Fink installs into /sw. These get added to .bash_login / .bashrc respectively.

I would expect Homebrew to install into its own top level directory, so just confirm it's been added to your shell startup script or add it if it's missing.
kbw, thanks for your reply. I did some more reading, and came to the conclusion that I thought homebrew was something it was not. I thought it was, as the site says, "The missing package manager for OS X." However, from what I gather, it's only good for whole projects that have been pre-packaged in a specific way.

Cross-platform development on Mac has, IMO, always been a little awkward. Concerning MacPorts and Fink, would you recommend Fink over MacPorts? And could you share why? (or does it matter?)
I use Fink because it has PPC support. I try to support PPC/PPC64 along with Intel. I find Fink is better for these purposes. I also like the fact that Fink builds from source akin to FreeBSD Ports to my mind. I bootstrap Fink from its source code rather than installing the binary package.

Fink provided GCC4.8, which at the time MacPorts didn't provide. So that was another reason for me to stick with Fink.

It comes down to the packages that you're using that determines which you should choose I think.

But remember, they can coexist because they install to different top level directories. And to remove one is simply a matter of removing that top level directory.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.