gcc/4.7.2: fatal error: cstdlib: No such file or directory

I am working with a code that has mostly been developed in C++. There are a few C files too. I'm quite new to programming; this is an engineering code.

I have been using it successfully for months on a Mac, compiled with g++. Now I need to compile it using gcc/4.7.2 and Linux. I am getting this error:

factor.c:35:19: fatal error: cstdlib: No such file or directory

The file, "factor" is one of the few C files I mentioned. It does contain:

#include <cstdlib>

I tried changing it to the "C" version. That didn't work. My understanding is that "cstdlib" should be included by default with the compiler, but I can't find it. Does anyone know how to do a thorough search?

I don't have root privileges on this machine, so I probably can't install it.

I'm stuck and if anyone has any advice, I would be very grateful.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
it would be in /usr/include/. i could understand it.... cant believe i didnt see this before...
factor.c:35:19: fatal error: cstdlib: No such file or directory

you cant have a c->c++ (ie x.h -> cx) in a .c file
Thanks very much, DTSCode.

When you say that I can't have c->c++ (ie x.h -> cx) in a .c file, what do you mean? For example, in the C file, should I have:

#include <cstdlib>
(the C++ version)

Or should I have the C version?
the c version. so if you are writing code in a .c file you cant have a cx file. x is a place holder for any one the c headers. so for example:
(c++ can use either c can only use the first column)

c header c++ equivalent
----------- -------------------
stdio.h cstdio
ctypes.h cctypes
string.h cstring
stdlib.h cstdlib
math.h cmath
time.h ctime
Thanks a lot. So I should be using:

#include <stdlib>

It is weird that it isn't working. I did check usr/include and it doesn't look like anything is there. This is a cluster, so maybe the setup is different.

Do you know if it is possible to get it from anywhere else and simply install it in my own directory?
stdlib.h not stdlib. c requires the use of .h headers while c++ uses .h, .hpp, or precompiled (ie the suffix is ommitted)
Thanks very much. I'll give that a try. It takes about 40 minutes to compile.
Hey if you're still there, DTSCode, it did work!! I needed to add an include path to my makefile to
/usr/include/

That way, I was able to access "stdlib.h".

Your advice about needing to say <cFile.h> and not <cFile> has been a huge help. Thank you so much. I don't know if I can give you some kind of credit (like marking this answer right) for your help; if I can, I'd be happy to. Just let me know!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.