finding source files

how can i find where (what dir) the source files to a program i am running???
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

Do you mean the source files, or the executable?
Both will generally depend on the distribution you are using too, so which one are you using?

All the best,
NwN
Hey,
the source files. i thought i knew where they are but now i am in doubt. i say this because i have done some modifications to an handful of files and i was unsure of the run time result. so i commented out a bunch of stuff. no run time change. so i commented out a critical part and the still no runtime change.

so either the interpreter is still reading commented out code or i am working in the wrong src dir ??
So which distribution are you using? Distributions such as debian-based or rpm-based provide a lot of binary packages, which (I think) don't actually include the sourcefiles, which is why I'm asking.

You mention an interpreter, so you are not talking about c++ source files, or did you mean compiler?

All the best,
NwN
oh sorry i am using ubuntu 12.10. the program is c++, [/edit/ the program i am trying to modify] it is not a binary distro. its an open source program that needs to be built from tarball.

/edit/ so why cant i find my own source files?? like i said i am commenting out sections of code, rebuilding starting from bootstrap, and the lines commented out are still being executed. wth is going on here ??
Last edited on
The I assume the tarball comes with a make-file?
Are you doing

make install
or just
make
?

All the best,
NwN
i pulled from the source files from the svn trunk which automatically created a dir in my home dir. so i cd into that dir, do my changes to the source files and then do:
./bootstrap && ./configure && make
make check
sudo make install

i am commenting out code but it is still working at run time. how can this be ??
More than likely, the sources will be in a subdir of where you untared the file. The installed binaries' location are defined during the ./configure according to probably a value defined in variable PREFIX. check the Makefile. There is no README?
i uninstalled everything. which was a pain. then reinstalled everything. now the program is back from the twilight zone. Thanks!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.