How do I open a window in Ubuntu

I want to write a piece of code that will let me open a window and write some text in it like 'hello' or something.

then maybe i want to implement some graphics in it like drawing a rectangle.

how can i do this. as far as i know you have to basically send a request to the X server. But I dont know how to do that.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
you could use sfml and a widget library like tgui. i know bhxspectre is a big fan of qt
It depends. Ubuntu runs the X windowing system. It's a server/ client architecture that you're dealing with here. What does that mean? Well your computer(the server) will receive request from multiple clients(That can be on your machine or over a network). It's kind of simple yet complex. I'd recommend maybe reading up on it via google or X org. Most people will frown upon dealing with purely X org libraries since it's dying off. Here's a recommendation, GTK, it's cross platform.
Last edited on
DTSCode (2941)
you could use sfml and a widget library like tgui. i know bhxspectre is a big fan of qt

Ok. That helps. Helps in understanding the way linux is built exactly. The execution stack and so on and so forth.
@nightrain

Please, take a look here:

http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.