Should I just read a book?

I am getting nowhere trying to understand Linux programming on my own. Should I just get a book to study from? How did you learn? Where did you start?

Did you just take some code and read it? And that's how you learned?
I am getting nowhere trying to understand Linux programming on my own.
What kind of programming, is it just C/C++?

Should I just get a book to study from?
Probably.

How did you learn?
I had a mentor.

Where did you start?
It helps if you understand a little about the environment. You need to be able to compile and run a simple program. Once you can do that, you can pick up the rest as you go.
Google
Use youtube.. places like thenewboston give good tutorials that give you a good understanding of whats going on

http://thenewboston.org/
Last edited on
If you're talking about just understanding the OS itself and shell scripting I suggest you read the tutorials that come with your Linux distribution. The Ubuntu and DebIan guides cover the basics through very advanced concepts.

A good book that covers everything from the hardware and number systems on up is available as a free PDF all over the web and is called: LINUX: Rute User’s Tutorial and Exposition. It's from 2001 but it's still valid for learning the basics of Unix/Linux. It's very thorough and not a bad read.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Try forming your lack of understanding into questions and then post them. I can probably answer most of them or provide a source of information for better understanding.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.