Missing boost symbols for x64 ubuntu

My old ubuntu-based web server finally died. I'm trying to put things back together on a new 64 bit machine. I have a server-side c++ utility that I need to recompile, but I've never compiled on a 64 bit architecture before, and I'm having some trouble with missing symbols. The only libraries I'm linking with are stdc++ and boost_program_options. The missing symbols are all from boost_program_options. I figure I'm either missing some crucial compiler option, or there's something funny about my boost installation (which I installed with apt-get), or I'm being an idiot and missing something obvious. :)

Here's my compile line:

matt@charon:~/dev/farkle$ g++ -I . -lstdc++ -lboost_program_options -o farkle main.cpp

I did try adding -m64, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Here are a few of the missing symbols:

/tmp/ccX9tzVP.o: In function `setConfig(Config&, int, char**)':
main.cpp:(.text+0xd5): undefined reference to `boost::program_options::options_description::m_default_line_length'
main.cpp:(.text+0xe0): undefined reference to `boost::program_options::options_description::m_default_line_length'
main.cpp:(.text+0x125): undefined reference to `boost::program_options::options_description::options_description(std::string const&, unsigned int, unsigned int)'

Here's some other info that might be useful:

matt@charon:~/dev/farkle$ dpkg --get-selections | grep options
libboost-program-options-dev:amd64              install
libboost-program-options1.54-dev:amd64          install
libboost-program-options1.54.0:amd64            install

matt@charon:~/dev/farkle$ find /usr/lib/ -print | grep boost_program_options
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.a
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.s

matt@charon:~/dev/farkle$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Release:        14.04
Codename:       trusty

matt@charon:~/dev/farkle$ g++ --version
g++ (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 4.8.2
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Much thanks to anyone who can help me solve my problem.
mtbusche wrote:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.s
Is that last line a copy/paste error?

It should be:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so.1.54.0

norm@debian:~$ ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1420218 Jun 19 12:13 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Jun 19 12:12 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so -> libboost_program_options.so.1.54.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 479856 Jun 19 12:13 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so.1.54.0
yes, that's a copy-paste error. It's actually as you say it should be:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so.1.54.0

Any other suggestions?

Last edited on
Run ldconfig to see if the lib was added to the cache:
root@debian:~# ldconfig -p |grep libboost_program_options
libboost_program_options.so.1.54.0 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so.1.54.0
libboost_program_options.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so

If you don't get the above output run "ldconfig" to update the cache and try recompiling.

If that doesn't work, try adding "-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/" to your g++ command line.

Just fyi, the boost example program compiles and runs fine for me with your command line:
g++ -I . -lstdc++ -lboost_program_options -o po_test options_descriptions.cpp

link to boost example:
https://gitorious.org/boost/svn/source/d1b8fe8a1851c1e1d056dd7cfe1cc1ad7a53e1a3:libs/program_options/example/options_description.cpp

matt@charon:~/dev/farkle$ ldconfig -p | grep options
        libboost_program_options.so.1.54.0 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so.1.54.0
        libboost_program_options.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_program_options.so

If the -L option were to fix things, I would think that I'd be getting an error something like:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_program_options

but I don't. Nevertheless, I gave your suggestion a shot:

matt@charon:~/dev/farkle$ g++ -I . -lstdc++ -lboost_program_options -L /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ -o farkle main.cpp
/tmp/cc5LNw7x.o: In function `setConfig(Config&, int, char**)':
main.cpp:(.text+0xd5): undefined reference to `boost::program_options::options_description::m_default_line_length'
main.cpp:(.text+0xe0): undefined reference to `boost::program_options::options_description::m_default_line_length'
main.cpp:(.text+0x125): undefined reference to `boost::program_options::options_description::options_description(std::string const&, unsigned int, unsigned int)'

but saw no obvious changes in output.

Well, this is becoming annoying. I guess I could download the boost source and just compile that library directly to bypass the library problems I'm having. Not a very satisfactory solution though.
Try putting the -l options at the end.
g++ -I . -o farkle main.cpp -lstdc++ -lboost_program_options
That was it!

I remember having this problem like 20 years ago, learning about the dependence library order during the link step, but somehow hadn't made this mistake since. I guess I had assumed that things had changed somehow. And if the libraries really need to be listed at the end, then why was "norm b" able to build his test program using the same libraries using the same command line ordering -- a bit curious, don't you think?

Anyway, the fact that I was having the trouble on a new platform made me believe the problem was with the new box and not cockpit error.

Thanks so much for getting me through this silliness.

Matt
mtbusche wrote:
a bit curious, don't you think?
Curious indeed! Considering that Ubuntu is Debian based. Maybe someone can provide an explanation.
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Link-Options.html#index-Libraries-1108
It makes a difference where in the command you write this option; the linker searches and processes libraries and object files in the order they are specified. Thus, ‘foo.o -lz bar.o’ searches library ‘z’ after file foo.o but before bar.o. If bar.o refers to functions in ‘z’, those functions may not be loaded.
Thanks, Peter. I am aware that the order of the libraries on the command line can make a difference. What's puzzling to me is that order makes a difference in this case on Ubuntu but not on Debian.

, those functions may not be loaded.
I guess the operative word is "may".
afaik, it makes a difference on static linkage http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/113904/#msg622062
What's puzzling to me is that order makes a difference in this case on Ubuntu but not on Debian.

This applies only for static linking, not for dynamic linking, so please check first what you are saying.

LD linker behaves the same on every *nix distribution, even windows port has the same "feature" - they called "optimization" to not search for exported symbols except only once and discard "unused" ones. This is crap, in case of 2 libraries that depends on each other (circular references) you must add some libraries twice to make it link correctly.

Other linkers tries hard to make the executable link correctly, at the cost of more computer resources.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.