From PI to Server

Earlier today I thought two things: A) I need a server, and B) What can I do with my raspberry PI's? I think you get what I thought. I would like someone to point me to some resources of how I can use c++ to turn my raspberry PI into a very simple server. I am only used to ever working on Windows, so this'll be something new to me. Also, is it possible for me to code it in Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 on my PC, then put it onto the PI?

Thanks a lot!
Also, is it possible for me to code it in Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 on my PC, then put it onto the PI

Yeah you'll need to compile the code targeting the Pi, though.

I assume you're running some flavor of *nix on the Pi, so just download and install some server software. You never stated what type of server you want, so I can't say much beyond that.
I would like to program my own, that's the point. I'd just like one which sends HTML documents to people's computers using the HTTP protocol (if that makes sense, I'm new to networking.)

Also, how could I target the PI using MVSC++?
Also, how could I target the PI using MVSC++?

No idea, you'll have to look it up.

Programming your own HTTP server is going to be a big task, especially knowing nothing about networking. I highly recommend just installing one of the many pre-existing servers and run that.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Irrelevant Elephant wrote:
...point me to some resources of how I can use c++ to turn my raspberry PI...

Go to http://www.raspberrypi.org and join the forum there.
Also, is it possible for me to code it in Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 on my PC, then put it onto the PI?

1. Install Linux (or FreeBSD) on the PI. Write your code on Windows using standard C++. If you need platform specific features, use a portable 3rd party library (like Boost).

2. Copy the code onto the PI using an scp client (like WinSCP).

3. Install any libraries you used onto the PI using the distributions package manager.

4. Compile your code on the PI.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.