Connection Issue from outside the network

I created a program that servers ascii art animations over telent. I am able to connect on the same network using telnet localhost 2023. However, Once i try to connect from outside the network, I keep getting connection refused. I ran the command netstat -an | grep 2023
and I get the following output:
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2023 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
I also looked in /etc/hosts.deny and there is nothing in there that would block the connection and the dns setting are correct because it tried to connect to the correct ip-address. I am not sure what is causing it not to connect so any help would be appreciated. Just incase here is the output from uname -a:
Linux darvis 3.15.0-rc5-00300-g11da37b #1 SMP Thu May 22 07:35:33 EDT 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux Im also running Linux Mint.

Here is a github link to the program I have written: https://github.com/haglerchristopher/sockets
Last edited on
Once i try to connect from outside the network ...

What exactly do you mean by this?
My apologies for being vague. I mean when I try to telnet to the program running on port 2023 from a different network, outside my local network. Instead of telnet localhost 2023, I get on a different network, and I telnet yourdomain.com 2023 My router and DNS settings are correct, so the only issue I can think of is something on my local machine is blocking the connection.
Last edited on
Can you ping the host?
I was not able to ping the host, so I looked at the port forwarding settings for my router. Instead of using port 2023, the port the application runs on, I opened port 2203. Thanks for the help. I guess this is a hard way of learning to double check your settings and do not assume they are correct. Thanks for the help again.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.