Question on Linux Distrubutions

I'm going to buy a pc and dual boot Linux with windows using Debian.

My question is if I make applications in Debian Linux will they run on other distros ?
Also the concepts we learn in Debian distros such as shell scripting and Linux terminal concepts are they the same in other distros ?

Also if I want to switch distros how would I back up my data so it doesn't get wiped out
Because I want to use diffrient distros a year later such as Kali and eventually make my own distro just for educational purposes.

Appreciate any help
My question is if I make applications in Debian Linux will they run on other distros ?

It can be tricky to get executable files to run across multiple distributions but it's usually not much problem with recompiling your program under different distros. The biggest problem usually is that you need to have all the libraries and tools that your program need to build, installed. If you use an old distro (or an old version) it might not have the correct version of the library easily installable from the package manager but you can usually install it manually, but that will be more work.

Also the concepts we learn in Debian distros such as shell scripting and Linux terminal concepts are they the same in other distros ?

Yes the concepts are the same, but distros do things a bit different and comes with a different set of programs preinstalled. There are very few commands that you can count on always are available but there are many commands that is almost always available. Even the shell itself can differ. The bash shell is very popular and and have many useful features, so then there is the question if one should assume the bash shell is used, or only use features of Bourne shell just to be safe.

Also if I want to switch distros how would I back up my data so it doesn't get wiped out

Put your files on a different partition than the one you are installing on, or use some other medium e.g. CD, USB stick, secondary hard drive...
Last edited on
Having different partitions for the OS and the user data opens up an another logical possibility: reserve multiple partitions for the OS. They don't have to be huge. When you decide to install an another distro, you don't have to overwrite the Debian's partition.
actually what is a partition
Because I'm getting a little confused

I thought a partition was separate hard drive space for another operating system to be installed.

Also thank you guys answers all my questions :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

One does create a filesystem within a partition. (Windows users usually call this "formatting".)

One does mount a filesystem in order to use it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.