I need some guidance installing ubuntu

Pages: 12
ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

I paid my 15.00 donation and downloaded the above file. It says amd64. I am going to burn a CD on my current Optiplex 755, then install on my HP laptop.

Am I good to go? I know I just have to follow the prompts and decide on partitions, beside, or whatever.

It's the file - I just want to make sure someone explains what the file name I need is. Is the above file the file I need. Thanks.

My laptop is a 4x AMD A6-7310 APU with AMD Radon R4 Graphics - it's a nice machine. Not expensive but it performs better than many more expensive laptops (surprisingly).

I was just surprised that the download gave me an AMD file (almost like it guess my laptop). My Optiplex is a 2x Intel Core duo E7200 or E something like that. It's Intel, not AMD. Strange.
Last edited on
Hi again. Sadly Ubuntu is another thing that I've never actually used. That said, it is the most-used linux distro out there, so there are a lot of walkthroughs available.

That file-name is disturbing to me too, but this site reassures that it is fine. https://askubuntu.com/questions/197001/is-the-64-bit-version-of-ubuntu-only-compatible-with-amd-cpus

For future note:
The donation you made was nice, but you could have gotten it for free just by hitting "not now" on that screen. Ubuntu is free to download and use, no payment is ever a requirement from them. (There are some versions of linux that require payment for download, but they usually have a free version. If transfer of money is required for purchase then it would actually be illegal to call it a "donation")

Edit:

How large is your harddrive on the Optiplex, maybe I can help with the choice on partition sizes. (I remember someone trying to install Ubuntu at school and they somehow set the / partition to 95% of the harddrive space, so they couldn't do anything in their home partition because it filled up too quickly.

Look up dual boot if you want to keep Windows available on the machine. (Will limit the available size of your linux machine). When I last did a dual boot the Windows partition refused to shrink smaller than 75% the size of the harddrive even though it's 2Tb in total and Windows only needed about 2% to be fully functional.)
Last edited on
Hi, I saw the download (without payment) button, but I don't think it's troublesome to pay 15.00 for an operating system. People need to eat. I guess it's more logical to try it first, then buy it, but I'm in a bit of a hurry right now as I'm working on a lot of stuff.

But I am not all that worried about the file name as I burnt the DVD for my laptop which is an AMD A6. It will probably be fine. I can partition my laptop appropriately. My only real concern is that I might have to move my Fatdog save file so I can still boot up off of my DVD in the laptop, but I suspect that I will configure a USB flash key for that anyway. Perhaps have keys for both Fatdog and Ubuntu. I just thought it was funny that it came up with AMD and not Intel. I wonder if there is an Intel version. I'll have to check that out at their site.

Thanks for you reassurance though.
I should be able to just divide the main partition into 2 or 3, perhaps leaving room for yet another Linux distro. Then when fatdog boots off of the CD, it will still simply look for it's file on the C: drive, or whatever it's called in Linux, like sd0 or whatever. I have about 500GB in the hard-drive. I could divide that up some, at least into 2 drives, possibly 3 possibly even 4.

I can even do this in Windows ahead of time.
Last edited on
On my system I have these partitions:

/boot
/
/home
/usr
/opt
/var

The /boot partition has 2GB, it might be used by the system to do upgrades to the next version of the distro.

Another thing is LVM (Logical Volume Manager) which allows one to resize, and transparently add more disk space from other drives. It's a good thing :+)
Partitions ...

There are two common partition table formats: "MBR" (aka "MS-DOS") and "GPT".
The (legacy) BIOS requires MBR, but the UEFI can use GPT.
(MS Windows GPT in order to boot in UEFI mode. GRUB / Linux are more lenient.)

MBR table can have max 4 partitions, of which max one can be "extended" and others have to be "primary". The extended partition can contain multiple "logical drives".

GPT table has no "extended", but it can have "enough" primary partitions.

For BIOS boot the /boot effectively has to be a filesystem directly on a primary partition.
For EFI boot the /boot/efi has to be on a EFI System Partition (ESP).

The ESP can have subdirectory for each "OS vendor", and thus multi-boot installations are a bit easier.

The LVM defines "logical volumes" that are within one or more "physical volumes". Resizing or rearranging primary partitions or logical drives is not trivial, particularly on MBR. Resizing and rearranging LVM logical volumes is very flexible.

At least one distro's installer does by default create two partitions: one for '/boot' and another for LVM physical volume. Within the LVM volume it creates three "filesystems": 'swap', '/' and '/home'. The rationale is that user data is on separate filesystem than the OS installation, and as LVM volumes they are easier to resize.

Rather that "burning a CD" you could "write a bootable USB". That is more redoable.
I decided to practice first on a USB flash stick (128 GB).

So I have now clicked apply and it created the partitions I wanted. I'm not worried if it's not exactly what I want - I could buy another flash stick and do it differently. But I suspect that the partitions are already formatted. The reason I think this is that if I choose the Format to menu option, it removes the volume labels.

So am I right - I do NOT need to format these partitions - it did it during that little bit of time I watched them being created.

After this, I'll use Rufus to burn Ubuntu to one of the partitions.
Then later, I'll do all of this to my hard-drive and use grub. I created a grub partition for that purpose. I haven't touched my hard-drive yet.
i wanted to give you the table I created as a pic but I can't seem to do it:

Here's what I did:
/dev/sdb4 fat32 GRUB 703.00 MB
/dev/sdb1 ext4 LinuxPP0 29.00GB
/dev/sdb2 ext4 LinuxPP1 29.00GB
/dev/sdb3 extended 59,19 GB
/dev/sdb5 ext4 LinuxPP2 29.00GB
/dev/sdb6 ext4 LinuxPP3 29.00 GB
/dev/sdb7 fat32 SPARETIRE 1.18 GB

I assume Rufus will allow me to make the partition for Ubuntu or Fatdog bootable.

By the way, my hard-drive looks as follows - UEFI:
/dev/sda1 EFI system partition fat32 260mb
/dev/sda2 Microsoft reserved parftition unkmown 16mb
/dev/sda3 Lock Basic data partition ntfs 450.8 gb
/dev/sda4 Basic data partition ntfs 980mb
/dev/sda5 Basic data partition ntfs RECOVERY 13.69 GB
unallocated 5.02mb

I would like to make the sda1 larger - I would like at least 512mb
Last edited on
I didn't realize that Rufus is a windows program - now I have to use unetbootin but for that I need to download and install qmake on my laptop or perhaps I can just build the exe on my main machine (which has qmake) and xfer to the laptop. I'l ty that.
I'm in the middle of figuring out why the program unetbootin is missing a file I need to build (ui_unetbootin.h), and also, why inserting a flash stick and partitioning has now ruined my Fatdog LInux.

Now I know why I take so much time to do things - something always breaks.

I'm now trying to start Fatdog without the savefile in hopes that will help. Everything is too fragile.
Last edited on
Fatdog has come up without a savefile. So I need to contact the Fatdog brethrenhood and see if I can just manually load it somehow - there's probably a way to do it. I hope it' s not corrupt. Also, perhaps I can simply peak at my hard-drive and find something there that reflects the stuff.

No word yet or any idea why ui_unetbootin.h is missing.
I didn't realize that Rufus is a windows program - now I have to use unetbootin
unetbootin writes ISO images to flash drives, right? If you can't build it or something you can write the flash drive with dd. This is often quite painless.
% dd bs=4M if=your-new-disk-image.iso of=/dev/sdX
Where /dev/sdX is your flash drive.
Last edited on
Hi, thanks. After I grapple with why my Fatdog operating system is ruined, I will try your method. Thanks again.
One comment about the command you give above.

dd ... of=/dev/sdX.

You show only the letter X, but not a particular partition. That's exactly what I don't want. I created all of those partitions so that I can put a different version of LInux on each one. I don't want to have to write just to sdb. Can I write this to sdbx where x is a number? I guess I don't understand something here. I would like each partition sdb1, sdb2, sdb5, and sdb6 to have a different version of Linux.
There is a way to install Linux onto a flash drive that involves the iso file and some simple commands, and that allows writing to a partition but I need the syslinux from somehwere. I need to get that file somehow.

Ouch, I think syslinux only works on fat32 file syst3ems.
Last edited on
I ran the command:

dd if=ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M
It said after 53.7728s:
1482+1 records in
1482+1 records out
1554186240 bytes (1.6 GB) copied, 53.7728s, 28,9 MB/s

I checked it has a bunch of files and folders on it, as if the operating system command dd unfolded the ,iso file, and hopefully it has the system files. It has folders disk, boot, casper, dists, EFI, install, isolinux, pics, pool, preseed, ubuntu, and the files md5sum.txt, README.diskdefines

So is it possible that the system files are in there in some folder? I have hidden files showing. I don't see anything like syslinux or something like that.
Last edited on
I then ran lsblk -a, and everything seems normal. So is it now time to reboot and I guess then it will install Ubuntu?
I have now gone into the BIOS and I DID change the boot order a bit - I moved CD booting and USB key booting above Windows. But the real problem now is that the bootup sequence does not see the USB drive as a bootable device even though it's enabled to be as such in the BIOS.

So now more troubleshooting. The method they gave doesn't work. I have to somehow convince the computer that the flash stick is bootable.
The above table now looks like this:

Here's what GParted shows now that I've installed Ubuntu - compared to the "Before" above.

/dev/sdb4 fat32 GRUB 703.00 MB
/dev/sdb1 unknown Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS amd64 29.00GB
/dev/sdb2 ext4 LinuxPP1 29.00GB
/dev/sdb3 extended 59,19 GB
/dev/sdb5 ext4 LinuxPP2 29.00GB
/dev/sdb6 ext4 LinuxPP3 29.00 GB
/dev/sdb7 fat32 SPARETIRE 1.18 GB

Notice the line for /dev/sdb1 - it doesn't have the file system marked as
ext4 anymore. Yet I can see the files fine in Linux.

And the thing doesn't get seen as a bootable device.
I think I might just have to manage flags and click the boot checkbox.

I now realize that 29 GB is not a huge amount of space. But for an initial install, it might do. And I might get a couple projects done before I have to reinstall and use a larger partition/drive.
Last edited on
Pages: 12