g++ -O produce wrong result

I have a program that produces the wrong result when using -O to compile. My system is the latest fedora. "uname -a" output is

Linux pluto 4.15.14-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 29 16:13:44 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

"g++ -v" output is

Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=g++
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/7/lto-wrapper
OFFLOAD_TARGET_NAMES=nvptx-none
OFFLOAD_TARGET_DEFAULT=1
Target: x86_64-redhat-linux
Configured with: ../configure --enable-bootstrap --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,fortran,ada,go,lto --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --enable-multilib --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --with-gcc-major-version-only --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-plugin --enable-initfini-array --with-isl --enable-libmpx --enable-offload-targets=nvptx-none --without-cuda-driver --enable-gnu-indirect-function --with-tune=generic --with-arch_32=i686 --build=x86_64-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 7.3.1 20180303 (Red Hat 7.3.1-5) (GCC)

The original program is big, but I have reduced the source code to the following:

#include <cstdio>
namespace {
  int p[48], v;
}
int main() {
  p[32] = 1;
  for (int i = 48; i--;) {
    if (p[i]) {
      printf("diff at %d\n", i);
      if (i > 39 || (i > 7 && (i & 7) > 2)) break;
      if (i < 8) {
        v = 1;
      } else if (!(i & 1)) {
        v = 2;
      } else {
        v = 3;
      }
    }
  }
  printf("v = %d\n", v);
}

p is static so is init to all 0, but p[32] is set to 1. Inside non-zero test where i is 32, the first and second if should test to false, but the else if should be true, so the v should be set to 2. The program runs correctly when compiled with "g++ -Wall test.cc", but when adding either -O, -O2, or -O3, then v is set to 3. Can anyone spot any error in the code? Or is there a gcc bug here?
Last edited on
Err ...
for (int i = 48; i--; ) {
for ( initialiser; TEST; UPDATE )

Also, where were you expecting it to exit the for loop?
Under cygwin, I don't see the v being set to 3 regardless of what optimizer I use. I get the same result - the 2 - regardless...

Totally different version tho.
(edited: removed the output tags because it made the webpage a billion pixels wide)

$ g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=g++
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: x86_64-pc-cygwin
Configured with: /cygdrive/i/szsz/tmpp/gcc/gcc-6.4.0-5.x86_64/src/gcc-6.4.0/configure --srcdir=/cygdrive/i/szsz/tmpp/gcc/gcc-6.4.0-5.x86_64/src/gcc-6.4.0 --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc --docdir=/usr/share/doc/gcc --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/gcc/html -C --build=x86_64-pc-cygwin --host=x86_64-pc-cygwin --target=x86_64-pc-cygwin --without-libiconv-prefix --without-libintl-prefix --libexecdir=/usr/lib --enable-shared --enable-shared-libgcc --enable-static --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --enable-bootstrap --enable-__cxa_atexit --with-dwarf2 --with-tune=generic --enable-languages=ada,c,c++,fortran,lto,objc,obj-c++ --enable-graphite --enable-threads=posix --enable-libatomic --enable-libcilkrts --enable-libgomp --enable-libitm --enable-libquadmath --enable-libquadmath-support --disable-libssp --enable-libada --disable-symvers --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as --with-cloog-include=/usr/include/cloog-isl --without-libiconv-prefix --without-libintl-prefix --with-system-zlib --enable-linker-build-id --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=gcc4-compatible
Thread model: posix
gcc version 6.4.0 (GCC)
Last edited on
I filed this bug against redhat, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1564841, and someone there forward it to gcc https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=85284.
lastchance, the i--; in the for loop test for non-zero, and decrement i as update too. The loop ends when i is 0.
I can't reproduce your result with gcc 6. I get the same as @zaphraud.
diff at 32
v = 2

EDIT - You're right! I tried it on
https://wandbox.org/
and it produces the wrong answer for gcc 7 and gcc 8 (but not gcc 6) if optimisation is turned on. It's OK if optimisation is turned off. A closer look produces some truly bizarre results for bitwise &.
Last edited on
This is roughly what GCC 7.3 does according to Godbolt:
i = 47;
goto L2;
while (true){
    if (p[i]){
        printf("diff at %d\n", i);
        if (i <= 39){
            if (i <= 7){
                v = 1;
                goto L4;
            }else{
                if ((i & 7) <= 2){
                    if (i != 46)
                        v = 3;
                    else
                        v = 2;
                    goto L4;
                }
            }
        }
        break;
    }
L4:
    if (--i == -1)
        break;
}
printf("v = %d\n", v);
return;
Line 12 in particular is perplexing to me. It seems the static analyzer is being overly aggressive in proving the properties of i after the bitwise AND check and in wanting to eliminate the i < 8 check. Probably best to report this.
I have already reported it to redhat, and they have reported to gcc. gcc has already fixed the trunk, and redhat is waiting for gcc to either release another version 7 to package, or wait till fedora 28 to upgrade to gcc 8. I have downloaded the latest released gcc 7.3.0, and applied the fix and compiled and installed this instead. The links that I included in my post on Apr 8th had the extra comma or period on the URL, and causing page not found. Delete the extra char to load the pages.
It's not as bad as the Intel CPU bug, but that's still very interesting. Good find!
I think it's worse, since a correct source program compiled to produce the wrong result.
I think it's inappropriate to compare them. They're two entirely different classes of bugs with practically nothing in common between them.
what's in common is the ability to hide seemingly innocent code that will later offer a concealed entry point to an operating system...
If you're smart enough to figure out how to exploit an optimizer bug to write code that appears benign but actually compiles to produce a possible backdoor then you're better off contributing to GCC and Clang and putting the backdoors in the compiler itself.

http://wiki.c2.com/?TheKenThompsonHack
My congratulations also. By design or by (bad?) luck, you've come across a GCC compiler bug that produces wrong output. If I were in charge, you'd get a little badge for that :)
It's always by luck. If we could design it, we would have found all bugs by now.

My original code was looping from 0 to 47. Since I break out of the loop when i > 39 || i > 7 && (i & 7 > 2) when test for i fails, I thought looping backward would have break out sooner. So I reversed the loop, but got different result. It took me quite a while to discover that it's a -O bug.
It's always by luck

ITHare seems to be finding them by design :)

http://ithare.com/c17-compiler-bug-hunt-very-first-results-12-bugs-reported-3-already-fixed/

He's set out to deliberately find bugs in compilers, and he's finding them.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.