Differences between Linux and Windows operating systems

Open Source:

The Linux operating system is an open source operating system, meaning the source code is at the disposal of everyone. This feature has the following benefits:

* The Linux operating system is free.

* Users can modify the operating system as needed.

* The operating system's operating system is precisely defined.

* From the Linux operating system, you can make multiple copies of it and put it on different computers. On the other hand, the Windows operating system is a dedicated operating system with its source code available to Microsoft. The unavailability of the source code of the problems Creates the following:

* Users can not change it as needed.

* The precise performance of the Windows operating system is unclear. There are issues such as whether a spyware program is hiding.

* Windows versions are not free.

The 2-speed, power and stability of Linux is far more than Windows. As stated, the Linux operating system is a UNIX family. One of the main features of Unix's family operating systems is their robustness and endurance. The operating system is not easily damaged. Even for years, it can be used without booting, on the other hand, the Windows operating system needs to boot every week, otherwise it will not work. Windows operating systems for upgrading to versions. Newer ones need boot. On the other hand, you can upgrade your Linux operating system without booting.

3. Linux security is much more than Windows. Today, we live in a world reliant on technology. Risk of data corruption will be irreparable, so information security has a special place. Since Linux For network and multi-user environments, this has led to security issues on Linux if there are no significant security features in Windows, or just minimal security is available by adding additional software. For example, a malicious program can corrupt the entire Windows operating system, If a malicious program in Linux can only harm the user's home directory. Because Linux is an open source code, many security bugs are found and resolved before damage occurs during development and programming, even if problems with published programs are found due to the availability of their source code, they will be resolved promptly. The other side of the Windows operating system should expect Microsoft to fix the bugs found. Occasionally, bugs may be discovered after causing irreparable damage.

The third biggest security point for Linux is that virtually no virus exists for this operating system, while Windows has about a thousand types of viruses or worms.

Linux can run on a large number of platforms, such as very small devices or super-supercomputers. On the one hand, Windows can not run on different platforms. For example, Windows NT, as Microsoft has changed its mind Not running on the MIPS CPU, but for Linux, there is no one to change their mind.

5- The variety of Linux applications is much more than Windows. Some of these applications are as follows:

* Use Linux to check network connections

* Using Linux as Fire Wall

* Use Linux as a network router

* Use Linux as various servers such as database, web, file and print

* Use Linux as a desktop

* Use Linux as a workstation

* The use of Linux in moving hands, so that you can put the operating system on a CD or CD, and carry it with you and carry your desktop and computer settings with you.

6-The variety of Linux operating systems is more than Windows operating system. Because of the Linux operating system's open source code, each business group or business has released its own version. These versions are from a core (the most important part of the system Factor). The difference is in the additional software provided, the graphical user interface, the installation process, the price, and technical support. Therefore, these users are free to choose and they can choose a product that fully needs them. On the other hand, such a concept can not be found on Windows at all.

Unlike Windows, Linux has provided several programming tools. Unlike Windows, which should be purchased on most of the programming tools, Linux will provide all programming tools in any language you think. To use the tool you need to install it.

8. The Linux interface is much more than Windows. Each type of Windows has separate text interfaces, so that the 9x series of Windows commentators are very similar, and the NT class versions also have the same syntax commentators. Linux, as in other Unix versions, supports multiple syntax interpreters, but uses the default of a type known as BASH. Other Linux commentators include Korn shell, Bourne shell, Ash, C shell.

9. Windows supports more hardware tools. Because of this, hardware vendors write more drivers for Windows.

-
Last edited on by admin
> 3. Linux security is much more than Windows.

I don't know about that. How many times has linux mint been hacked now? The freenode IRC servers were hacked not too long ago by crafting malicious TCP packets that spawned a root shell. https://www.nccgroup.trust/uk/about-us/newsroom-and-events/blogs/2014/october/analysis-of-the-linux-backdoor-used-in-freenode-irc-network-compromise/?utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=rd0517

Mmm, 1990s era info that is mostly inaccurate today with a spam link at the end. Nice one.
Last edited on
Let me preface this with saying that I am a Linux user.

Linux security is much more than Windows.

Yeah this more the most part is true, the Linux kernel is more secure than Windows by definition, given that it actually operates in a lower privilege than on a Windows OS. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_privilege

However there do exist differences in distros as ntchambers pointed out, Linux Mint has had some issues security wise.

Overall I believe Linux is the uperior OS, especially for development
. However for the most part it is a subjective manner and largely has to do with what OS people are used to (i.e., someone raised on Windows machines most likely will be a Windows user for the rest of their life and that's that).
Last edited on
Yeah this more the most part is true, the Linux kernel is more secure than Windows by definition, given that it actually operates in a lower privilege than on a Windows OS.
That's complete nonsense. It's impossible to write a kernel that doesn't run at the highest privilege level available in a processor.
If anything, by this interpretation Windows is more secure, because it lets some components run at a lower privilege level than they might have on Linux. Specifically, I'm referring to user-mode drivers. AFAIK on Linux all drivers must be kernel-mode.

Also, you should be careful how you use the phrase "by definition". Definitions are arbitrary, and don't necessarily have anything to do with reality. When you say "X is more secure than Y by definition" what you're really saying is that you've defined "security" in such a way that Y necessarily has more of it than X. You're not necessarily making any statements about the real world.
Last edited on
I have never gotten the developer argument. Visual studio feels better than all the unix IDE to me. Makefiles feel like a step back to 1985 to me. About the only thing I can do better on unix vs win is write better os-scripts or access the 50+ nifty OS tools (but, unix isn't bloated with stuff, oh no.. never that) which have been available to windows users for free for decades via cygwin and other efforts. The unix os has more free compilers built into its default installs (but its not bloated!) I suppose, for those sudden gotta have fortran moments. There is no active language I know of that I can't download a working tool for on windows for free.

The biggest hurdle to using unix for me has always been the time investment honestly. Unix fans seem to spend about 30% of their computer time fooling with the OS trying to force things to work that were broken out of the box due to version issues or whatever. Maybe this has gotten better over time, but for me that ship sailed.
Last edited on
One thing I will concede is that package repositories make installing development libraries easy peasy. Windows doesn't have a central location for include files and import libraries, so I usually end up downloading and storing dependencies in each project's tree.
Is Linux more secure than windows, or is it just attacked less?

The variety of Linux applications is much more than Windows
I disagree with this. There must be 10's of thousands of windows applications that do practically every conceivable task. An easy example is the gaming industry. While I'm sure there are some Linux games, the number and variety of windows games surely outnumbers it.
Unlike Windows, Linux has provided several programming tools.
I think you need to provide evidence of this. There are a lot of languages available on windows.
The variety of Linux operating systems is more than Windows
One could argue that this is a disadvantage of Linux rather than a benefit. How do you know that a given application will work with a given flavor of Linux?
Last edited on Sep 11, 2018 at 7:03am by admin

THANK YOU TWICKER. YOU'RE ALIVE.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I didn't even realize until now...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.