Installed Linux, now what?

Ok so I finally went and installed a dual boot of linux and windows. Now what? What are some cool things I can do/install on linux?
Which distribution did you install? That plays a bit into what cool things you can do. :)

On all major Linuxes, you can have fun installing your choice of supported compiler with ease, you can install entire development libraries just by going to a package manager and choosing it, you can engage in huge debates about why Gnome/KDE/Unity is the best desktop environment, and much much more!

-Albatross
Well besides developer tools that depends on your interests. On Ubuntu I have GNU, Geany, Code Blocks, SciTE, Gimp, Blender, Audacity, and God knows what else.
Thanks for the replies, but this will have to wait :/ Think I messed up my linux install and killed windows
Yeah I've done that myself on occasion. I now have it so Vista is on my 2TB drive and Ubuntu is on my 260GB while I have a separate 80GB drive for just code.
I think I'm gonna to wipe linux and get windows back. Next time i do this, I'm getting a separate hard drive
I'd recommend installing Linux in a VM (provided you have a halfway decent system), particularly until you get used to it. I use and recommend Ubuntu these days (wish I had the time to reinstall Gentoo) although I'll admit I stay in Windows most of the time since Windows 7 came out.
Well I'm currently trying see if my backup partition of windows is even still alive
Are you sure you killed the partition? You probably just need to reinstall the boot loader.
Last edited on
How do I reinstall the boot loader? I ran fdisc something and dont think I saw the partion, though the numbering was weird. I had partions 2, 5, and 6.
Edit: Just ran gparted, I only have 4 gig not being used by linux, and it's unallocated. Pretty sure I wiped everything and linux took over
Any good IDE for Ubuntu 10.4 other than geany?
and not those which require plugins to be installed like eclipse or netbeans!
Geany? That's more of a text editor (although my preferred one) than an IDE, even though it advertises itself differently.

Exactly what kind of plugins does Eclipse CDT require?
Aside from that, there is Code::Blocks, although you should update it to the latest svn (like most software that comes with 10.04, Eclipse CDT included).
Qt Creator is a great help if you want to create Qt GUI applications.

C::B repository: http://apt.jenslody.de/
Last edited on
I downloaded code::blocks and the gcc compiler and it works just fine on Ubuntu 11.10. Since I'm now stuck with only Linux until my recovery disk comes from HP, I've been taking the time to get all this down. It's quite a bit different than I thought it would be
Ubuntu/Linux distributions take some time getting used to. One notable difference between Windows/linux is that drive letters don't exist in gnu/linux environment... there is only one "tree"
Any idea as to why my wifi speed is incredibly slow on ubuntu compared to windows? I got the ubuntu drivers, but my browser speed is sooo slow
Geany? That's more of a text editor (although my preferred one) than an IDE, even though it advertises itself differently.

Why isn't Geany an IDE? I have to create projects and do my code and everything like my other IDEs do, just doesn't have project templates like most IDEs do. I have C::B and several others too, though.

Any idea as to why my wifi speed is incredibly slow on ubuntu compared to windows? I got the ubuntu drivers, but my browser speed is sooo slow.

Not sure, my speed connection doesn't appear to have slowed any between Vista and Ubuntu.
Eh well I found a fix to it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.