Best C++ Compiler

Hi!
I am installing Ubuntu alongside Windows so I can develop Linux apps. I just wanted to ask which is the BEST IDE for Linux. Thanks!

Shahmeer
closed account (z05DSL3A)
The best one is the one that YOU are most productive with...install some and play...
Okay, I have changed my mind. I am getting the Raspberry Pi which will either run Debian Squeeze or Raspbian. I need a very AWESOME compiler for it. Thanks!
Last edited on
What characteristics make a compiler AWESOME? Running linux on a Pi, you can have the GCC which is well-respected.
Programming == AWESOME the rest is just tools to accomplish it.
How about Codeblocks or eclipse?
But usually gcc/g++ is the compiler that used in these ide tools.
If you're building directly on the RPi, gcc/g++ is available in Debian Squeeze for sure, and it's as good as any other compiler. Vim's a great editor, light enough to run lightning fast on hardware and includes syntax highlighting.

If you -really- want a graphical IDE, code::blocks or eclipse are both pretty OK. I wouldn't run them on the hardware, though.
I like GNU G++ (it's simple, and it's free).
.........................................................................................................................................................水..................................................................
Last edited on
sorry,evryone...I'd like to know,which country this forum belongs to .America...England...or ................I'm chinese
What does it matter to you which country ? Anyone is welcome, though the majority speaks English here.
Programmers are a species of digital country :D
In my experience with Code::Blocks, it's wonderful on Windows. However, on Linux and especially MacOSX, it is not very good. On Linux, it barely run and just appeared buggy. On MacOSX, it wouldn't even run with the mac binary.

That aside, try and get the MingW gcc/g++ compiler suite. It's the real standard for OpenSource development. There are a few differences between it and the MS compiler - well, quite a few, even in relatively simple things. But it's the best one there is. :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.