Best Linux Flavor for C++ Prgramming

I have been using Windows ever since. I have never worked on a LINUX Platform. I want to learn C++ programming on Linux. What is the best LINUX Flavor OS for my PC for programming in c++.
I am finding gentoo to be rather nice for Linux-oriented programming: I have five different versions of GCC (and two boosts and three pythons, etc), and I can switch between them any time, such as when I need to verify a solution or reproduce an issue someone is having on a particular version.

Plus there are other C++ compilers available in gentoo: clang, intel, and even pathscale for kicks.
If you have never used Linux before I would go for something easy and popular like Ubuntu.
I have 3 hard drives, one is Vista (mostly for gaming), one for Ubuntu(programming), and the third is formatted for linux and has all my source on it.
try linux mint. It's easiest and all you need to do is download g++.
Or go download VMWare Player, and then you try any distro you want with almost no effort.
Well C++ basics and STL should be the same on any OS (thanks to the standard). Only difference is when you get into OS-specific things (like the absence of windows.h in Mac, Linux, iOS, etc.).
I don't think the distro is going to make any difference at all with respect to learning to program on Linux. Look for recommendations for newbie friendly linux distros and pick one you like. The compilers and other programming tools will work equally well on any of them.

Now if you want to actually do linux system programming - like GUI apps, low level system applications, etc. - there will be more differences between the distros. Gnome vs. KDE for the desktop environment for example. But much of this is pretty compatible now also.
try Ubuntu linux..it has in-built g++ compiler.....
raymundpogi wrote:
try Ubuntu linux..it has in-built g++ compiler.....

No it doesn't, you have to install build-essentials package in order to have the GNU compiler and tools for programming.
Which is a trivial task, albeit. But yea, definitely not built in.
Resident Biscuit wrote:
Which is a trivial task, albeit. But yea, definitely not built in.

Trivial for someone that is use to using bash. If you are coming from Windows then it is a little more difficult in the respect that you aren't accustom to using a command line due to Windows being mostly GUI apps. One reason I went to Ubuntu, gave me the opportunity to learn command line more intimately than Windows does.
Eh the commands for doing this task can be learned in about 15 seconds.
g++ is in the synaptic package manager

just use this and all dependencies will be resolved
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I like Fedora because it generally comes with the most up-to-date version of the software packages, some packages in Ubuntu tend to lag behind.
Resident Biscuit wrote:

True, though I'm blown away by users that take several days and hours on the forums asking how to do it. :P
Probably the only thing you can lean in 15 seconds is how to duck.

To install a package from the command line requires an understanding of what the shell is, the shell being used, the package manager being used, properly configured sources for the package manager, confidence to use the system.

If you learned all that in 15 seconds, why aren't you planning the maned mission to Europa?
You can always make your own distro:
http://susestudio.com/

There's also a gallery section in there, so you may find that what you need was already made by someone else.
http://susestudio.com/browse
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.