recomend IDE in linux

hi
can you recommend me a c++ IDE
I'm using ubuntu
I used QT creator but it doesn't work
net beans for java only
code blocks convert the code to chines when I turn off my project and turn it on again
my QT console screen doesn't run the program
if I cout something
there is nothing appear on the console screen
Code::Blocks is excellent on Ubuntu
Eclipse is excellent:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

I use Code::Blocks but I think eclipse is better.
@majidkamali1370 depends what language you are writing in. Eclipse can do a lot, and used to be my main IDE (It still is for JAVA.) However, for C/C++ I find Code::Blocks to be ahead of the game.

Also, over the last six months or so I've run in to too many problems with Eclipse on Ubuntu, the stability just hasn't been there; especially for other language plugins. Which is why I went looking else where and found Code::Blocks.
I agree with Ryhnn.
C::B is dedicated for c++ but in eclipse with must write c++ via plug-ins. In ubuntu C::B can satisfy you vety well. It was the first time I saw code compilation in C++. C::B does this with header parsing. That's Awesome realy.
You know OP, I know you wanted an IDE but how about you have a LED light bulb instead. I think that will better suit your needs.

On a side, I wouldn't click that link. My anti-virus had a cow when I did.

EDIT:
Reporting removed that guys post. So nevermind then!
Last edited on
I have tried a bunch of things - make, eclipse, code::blocks, vim - I think I finally found my "best place". Sublime Text 2 is an awesome editor, easily extensible (through JSON and/or XML files and python plugins, which can be shipped together as packages. There's also a quasi standard plugin that automates package installation from git repos) while staying simple to use and still providing a rich set of features from the start. It's also so fast and stable it seemed like magic to me coming from heavy weight IDE's like Eclipse or VS. Not to mention it looks sexy even without using custom themes too.

It's not free (neither as in beer nor as in free speech), but there's a free time unlimited trial, and I personally think it's worth every cent (it comes roughly at the price of an average IT book).

As to it's worth as a C++ IDE - it doesn't come with anything like intellisense, but has word completition instead - any word that previously appeared in the file is available for completion (which is good enough for my purposes). It also supports standard stuff like snippets and macros. The shipped C++ plugin is syntax aware to the degree that it can create a list of symbols (function,class,macro declarations and definitions) to jump to by itself. It also has built-in support for custom builders, and supports C++ (and makefile) building out of the box.

I haven't used it for that long yet, so there may be a few things I've left out, but I can say that for me it's an amazingly fun tool to work with.
Sarah93

my QT console screen doesn't run the program
if I cout something
there is nothing appear on the console screen

This happens because you need to set up the run settings.

Using QtCreator, I do this:

On the left of the screen click projects, then under run settings, check the box that says "Run in a terminal"

I find that Qt Creator works very well for me, it has all the features that I need.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I've used Netbeans for C++ and I find it to be the best C++ IDE available on Linux, by far.
Vim with ctags and taglist makes an awesome IDE.
I use ubuntu 12.04 on many machines and I believe if you have something against Code::Blocks (my preferable IDE) you should probably try Mono Develop it works and is free on the software centre.
Yes netbean is very good with C++, so try it out. that will be useful too with GCC compiler too. I some time used Anjuta too, but that is in some specific cases like, if I want to manage Qt and Juce projects to manage without their IDE.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.