starting graphics programming

Hello all

I want to move from terminal programs to graphical programs but i dont know where to start.I see that openGL is used a lot but dont know anything about it.

Where do you think i should start?Is openGL a good tool for graphical programming or i should start with something else.

Thanks
OpenGL is just fine for GPU programming. Though, it is about as low as you'll reasonably get. There are many libraries built on top of it that abstract a lot of the lower level functions so you don't have to worry about it. I personally don't like the amount of abstraction some of these libraries put into them, but just something to keep in mind.
I see what you mean.
But what do you suggest for starting?I suppose you have worked with graphics.
Does it worth it to learn openGL?Would i benefit from starting it or maybe i should start with a higher level library?

Thanks
I think it's really just preference. Some will say go learn a higher language, get the feel for it, then work in a lower level API. Some will the say the opposite. The lower you work, the more control you have. The more control you have, the harder things may seem. It's all a trade off
Can you tell me if this is the recommended way to install openGL?All i find about installation is this.

apt-get install freeglut3
apt-get install freeglut3-dev

Can i install it from a tar.gz file to a fixed directory?

Thanks
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.