Nslookup

I have a file of hostnames (several hundred) that need to be checked against a DNS server to verify that they're valid, should I use a resolver library for this, or would calling the nslookup program suffice? I've read the man page on nslookup and it says nothing about return values, so that could be interesting.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I wasn't aware of nslookup being available... that's nifty.
I probably wouldn't use it though... I would personally use a library as you suggest. I'm unsure of what you're wanting to do exactly (aside from probably search for IP's associated with a hostname). Either way, I cannot picture it being too difficult in C/++.
After some research, I'm thinking a library would be best. I'm checking this file of host names for validity. It seems that this file is the last to get updated when a name change happens (we also keep them in our DNS server, and snmp server) but it is the main source when someone needs to know a name. So I'm trying to automate the process a bit by seeing which names are no longer valid, and making note of that so I can fix the issue.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
If you're just checking for validity, the BSD sockets API should suffice.
I haven't ever used BSD sockets, I'm only slightly familiar with the API. The message sent out would have to be a standard message as these network do not support any sort of custom software embedded. I know they respond to pings, SSHv2 (v1 on a couple) and telnet on some of the really old stuff. I was thinking nslookup (or something similar) would be ideal because other than ping, the devices could vary on what they support and querying a name server would be a little better than sending out packets literally to every device.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.