UNIX/Linux Programming - January 2017

makefile re-compiles program every time

I tried to make a makefile for a program I am working on, and it isn't behaving how it should. If I run "make serial" it will recompile the code, no matter what...
[1 reply] : the `serial' rule does not create a `serial' file https://www.gnu.org/... (by ne555)
C++ Code Different Behavior Under Different OS (1,2)

Hello, I would like to ask if someone could help me with a problem that I have with my c++ code for a project I am implementing. I am currently implementing Re...
[20 replies] Last: This is what I have done. #define X_constant X_Value This was the r... (by diman91)
by m1smr
Which C++ IDE for Ubuntu?

Hello, I am searching for a C++ IDE similar to CODE::BLOCKS but more stable. Thanks
[16 replies] Last: CLion (student licence) https://www.jetbrains.com/clion/ (by NovaSurfer)
by zolo
error linking crt1.o when running make

Hi, I have run into a problem with a make file on Ubuntu 16.04 although I am not sure this is Linux distro dependent. Anyways I have a clas.h a clas.cpp and ...
[4 replies] Last: Thanks for the tip. The -fpermissive is there because I forgot to take... (by zolo)
by alexBB
Please interpret valgrind output (1,2)

My environment is Ubuntu 16.06 and the code is .cpp I posted a few days earlier here because of memory problems and the user Cubbi suggested that I use valg...
[20 replies] Last: @alexBB, if the numerical integration routines are causing an issue th... (by lastchance)
by Pyr3x
lvalue required as left operand of assignment

Hello everyone! I am new here and I am looking for someone somewhere who can help me get my lab project going here... I am trying to compile an LTE-Cell-Scanner...
[1 reply] : int e = cos(k*t); The cosine function doesn't give many integer valu... (by lastchance)
Sending strings over socket

Hello guys! I'm trying to send a string value from client to server. Basically, the client will send any string and the server will reply with Hello + any st...
[4 replies] Last: In your view, how many bytes should the client read? The string is va... (by kbw)
I'm able to std::wcout a variable on Windows, but not on Linux.

I'm trying to write a c++ application I can run on both Windows and Linux using the Microsoft cpprest lib. It's supposed to send a GET request to my server,and ...
[5 replies] Last: What JSON library are you using? You don't include your #includes in ... (by kmiklas)
by Kcoder
Comparing DNA sequences using arrays

This is what the program outcome should look like... Enter your DNA sequence: ATTCGACTGA Enter the number of potential relatives: 3 Please enter the name...
[3 replies] Last: What is a percentage? How does one count one? It does look like that ... (by keskiverto)
by gary24
new to c++ errors with .ccp and .h files

this is my .cpp file #include <iostream> #include <string> #include <cstring> #include <stdio.h> #ifdef WINDOWS #include <Windows.h> #endif //#ifd...
[6 replies] Last: Also: Provide variable names for the parameters in function declarat... (by TheIdeasMan)
by alexBB
Execution time failure

Hi there, I have this code which is somewhat complicated and at one point during execution time the program breaks. Breakpoint 1, RealWork::legendreNONrotate...
[3 replies] Last: You can start by running it with valgrind and examining its error log. (by Cubbi)
My application gets to a part of my code on Win, but on Linux it doesn't. Can't figure out why.

I'm sending a GET request to my Node.js server from my C++ application using Microsoft's cpprest lib. I've managed to get the size of the content and a json res...
[2 replies] Last: raschupkin that definitely worked! I was also reading the following ar... (by hashbrown)
use of data structures in C++ API

I have written shared library consisting of functions and data structures. I want to know is it possible to share data between 2 programs using this shared libr...
[4 replies] Last: 2dhayden: Actually it is possible for program to access variable from ... (by raschupkin)
most standard includes are gone now, need help getting them back

I tried to install the boost library, but I copied the files in wrong to my include directory. I decided to delete the include folder and reinstall gcc and g++....
[3 replies] Last: Got it working, used the answer here if anyone else had this problem:... (by beauhefley)
by Borneq
How to create CodeBlocks project in Linux project?

I have project https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin where is directory build-aux/m4. This project can be build from command line, but I want CodeBLocks project t...
[no replies]
Loops assignment

Can someone help me with this C++ programming. I use linux through putty to do this. Create a C++ program which outputs the first four powers of three and th...
[2 replies] Last: std::cout << "1\n"; for(int i = 1; i < 27; i = i * 3) std::cout ... (by beauhefley)
by dinama
mapped file for read-only shared data

hello! has a large array of c-structures writed binary file (big data table). which method is best performance for share this data between processes (read-on...
[4 replies] Last: >copy to the shmat memory from where? From mmap'd file? From opened fi... (by dinama)
implementation of daemon thread

hi, I am new to thread mechanism so it may seem somewhat awkward.The scenario i am in is i want to fetch user input from main thread and simultaneously i want ...
[2 replies] Last: You really should let the main thread do UI stuff, and reserve other t... (by kbw)
get linker error

i install ns3 in linux and i make one file but that shows the linker error how to fixed it? Thank You
[1 reply] : You need to pass enough information so someone can answer your questio... (by kbw)
implementation of timeout in json file parser

hi, I am using boost library for parsing json file .What i want to achieve is when i read one part of xml like : { "01:00:34":{ "event":"connect",...
[1 reply] : Boost's JSON parser is dreadful. Try RapidJSON instead. In any event... (by kbw)
January 2017 Pages: 12
  Archived months: [dec2016] [feb2017]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.