UNIX/Linux Programming - September 2013

Books for getting started

Hello I just wanted to know which book is a must have for a total beginner, who doesn't even know the 'L' of LINUX? The book should teach about the LINUX en...
[16 replies] Last: BTW, did you guys know that they are actually cheating us. Like HDD d... (by ngopza)
dump file cannot be restore

so here is how i gona backup my file using dump command # dump -f [databackup name] [path or file name] //example # dump -f databackup /root/assignm...
[no replies]
by axtyax
reading .csv file into 2d array

#include <iostream> #include <fstream> using namespace std; double data ; int count = 1; int bigcount = 1; int main() { ifstream file; file.o...
[3 replies] Last: Hmmm I'm not getting this error. I've just compiled in g++ in Linux. ... (by Stewbond)
how to add an existing image in SFML ?

i want to add this image http://www.google.com.pk/imgres?client=firefox-beta&hs=D2s&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=674&tbm=isch&tbnid=3ab4...
[9 replies] Last: SFML (Simple and Fast Multimedia Library) is a portable and easy-to-us... (by raybrown)
Native GUI Application

I have been told that I can not make a GUI natively using C++ in Xcode on OS X. But then, how are the libraries made to make the GUI? Like qt, openGL, wxWidge...
[4 replies] Last: Thank you, I'll have a look at it. (by closed account jwkNwA7f)
Ancillary File

What is ancillary file in UNIX file System . What is use of it
[1 reply] : From Google: [quote=google]an·cil·lar·y /ˈansəˌlerē/ Adjecti... (by closed account o3hC5Di1)
Spell check using pthreads in C

Hi I have a school project where we suppose to make a spell check using pthreads, it is suppose to have customer.h using linked list, will have 3 member fun...
[7 replies] Last: Hi there, I think the following will fix quite a few of those errors:... (by closed account o3hC5Di1)
Writing my own cat command

Guys, I am pretty new to C programming and this is the third week of class and we have already had this program as a project and it's due pretty soon like th...
[15 replies] Last: And a huge THANK YOU to everyone provides help!!!! (by Ollie H)
What's the best graphics library?

What graphics libraries are you using? I understand that asking that question is similar to asking what Distro is the best (everyone has their own opinion), but...
[1 reply] : I really did like the look of Lightfeather: http://sourceforge.net/pro... (by Mats)
backup script

Hello, I need to write a script that will copy files with directories and sub-directories (5 or 6 depths) to another location (update mode would be appreciat...
[1 reply] : Hi there, This is usually done using Bash or Python for the reason th... (by closed account o3hC5Di1)
BSD Socket Tutorial

I can't find any tutorials on BSD Sockets for OS X. So, Do you know of any tutorials on it? Thanks for your help!
[5 replies] Last: I would just like to add that I would recommend using Boost Asio over ... (by naraku9333)
Recursion using c++

Hello All, I am asked to create a recursion function that will tell how many ones are in the binary representation of the variable N. So if a user input 4 it w...
[7 replies] Last: ^ Din't think bout that. (by S G H)
Weird Operator overloading problem.

Hi all, I'm having this really strange problem with operator overloading, I copied it from a tutorial that was done on windows, they didn't seem to have a probl...
[2 replies] Last: - You can't bind a temporary to a non-const reference. a temporary is ... (by ne555)
Simulating Keyboard Events

I would simulate keyboard events in a c++ program. I would "trick" the computer, so it "think" a key has been pressed .I work in Fedora 14.Anyone know somet...
[8 replies] Last: when I do echo password | su -l I get su: must be run from a termi... (by youare29)
Question meaning

Unix stores account information in 2 files. These files are the password file /etc/passwd, and the shadow file /etc/shadow. Each user belongs to a group with...
[11 replies] Last: The instructions that you did show clearly state that your script mus... (by keskiverto)
by JAA123
help with correcting compiler errors

could someone help me correct my errors. heres my code for the definition of a function: void sortKickers(MyKicker kickers , int count) { if ( strcmp( kic...
[3 replies] Last: C/C++ treat arrays a little differently. There's a historical reason,... (by kbw)
Linux vs. Windows (1,2,3)

Hi guys, I hope this is an appropriate forum for this type of question but with the current revelations I think it's time to give Linux serious thought. I am ...
[45 replies] Last: Mouse is the only laggy thing I felt about. As an example, I used a na... (by S G H)
how to run programs in terminal

i created a console app that is a calculator in code::blocks. How do I run it in the terminal?
[1 reply] : When you write something the shell would interpret it. If it is not an... (by ne555)
Fork multiple Applications and Monitor.

Hi, I am looking to kick off multiple homegrown C++ applications in a linux environment. I also need to monitor the applications and restart them if they die. ...
[2 replies] Last: See waitpid() http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/wait.... (by kbw)
ubuntu 12.04 formatting program help

it would be cool to make a program that wipes a harddisk. can someone help me out or write the source code to do it on ubuntu 12.04
[5 replies] Last: hmmm... sounds like malware Yeah, it does... I have seen some peopl... (by closed account jwkNwA7f)
September 2013 Pages: 12
  Archived months: [aug2013] [oct2013]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.