Office and Exchange not Win32 API ?

In another forum, there was somebody saying the the Microsoft applications "Office" and "Exchange" are not Win32 AP applications.

I would certainly guess this was not true, 5 years ago.

But maybe it is true now ? Looking around via Google, I see that there are these things called "COM based APIs". Maybe Office and Exchange work through the "COM" based APIs ? Or something like that.

In any case, I find it hard to believe that the currently available versions of Office and Exchange could run on any system where Win32 was not present.

Later, when the WinRT versions become available, then things will be different, at least in the WinRT versions ... but today ?

In any case, either it's flatly untrue, or this will be an interesting topic, at least for me.

Thanks for any comments and/or info.
Looking more at this, I see that Office needs .Net Framework to run ... so that's probably part of the answer. A lot of the calls that could be Win32 are .Net calls, so there would less Win32 calls.

This would make the source code more portable.

But just because some of the Win32 calls would become .Net calls, that doesn't mean that everything would be.

Without being able to see the source code, maybe it's impossible to know.

But the idea that the .Net Framework would not have any Win32 calls, or Win64 calls if it was on a 64-bit platform, that would seem impossible.

Of course, for .Net Framework, they say on the Wiki page, Microsoft "has engineered the framework to be platform-agnostic"... so on other platforms, there's not any Win32 or Win64 calls... but in any case, and some point, .Net has to talk to something.
In another forum, there was somebody saying the the Microsoft applications "Office" and "Exchange" are not Win32 AP applications.

Do you have a link to such a post?

What you are saying is not making sense to me at the moment. The fact that Word can run on my PC, running the 32-bit version of Windows, tells me that it is a Win32 app.

Andy

closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
just cause it runs on windows doesnt mean that it uses the win32 api. and if its a com based api im assuming its assembly calls then
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.