Encrypt/decrypt Windows folders.

(I moved this topic to this forum section since it seemed more appropriate.)

I just finnished my first encryptor/decryptor program. It seems like it can encrypt and decrypt most file types. However, I do not have any deep knowledge about how folders work in Windows. I wonder if my program can decrypt any common file type, does it mean that it also can encrypt entire folders and it's contents?
Do directories have any hidden file-extensions? If so, I need to know this.
Because the targeted file's name is one of the arguments that I send to the encryptor. But if I do not know the extension, I can't enter the right name so the program says that it cannot find the file/folder ofcourse.

Is a folder also just a file that consists of an array of bytes like any other files?
Is a folder also just a file that consists of an array of bytes like any other files?

Nope. A folder is just an abstract thing that groups files together. It's not actual data that can be accessed by a program. It's a concept within the filesystem structure.
To get a folder tree-like structure in your encrypted container you have to create the management of the folder/file hierarchy yourself.

The easiest way is probably an additional file that contains the file tree information. This files is then encrypted together with the other files in your container. Since it's a hierarchy it's probably best to use XML for that.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.