DirectX and Visual Studio 2010 Express, please.

Is the last SDK file DSXSDK_Jun10.exe adequate for Visual Studio 2010 Express, it is the file to have for Visual Studio 2010.

Thank You,
JoshEir
Last edited on
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

under additional information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visual Studio 2010 Support

The June 2010 DirectX SDK includes support for Visual Studio 2010. The DirectX SDK will continue to support Visual Studio 2008 as well. However, Visual Studio 2005 will no longer be supported.

the answer says nothing about what versions of VS is supported and since Dx SDK is not a third party SDK i guess it supports VS2010 express...
Yes it is adequate and should work fine. If you get errors while installing the June SDK they are most likely due to you having more recent version of the redistributable and you will need to remove them then install the SDK then run a windows update to get the up to date versions back again.
Redistributable and SDK are different things. DirectX SDK includes DirectX runtime as a optional feature, but it not forces you to install.
You are correct they are two different things and didn't mean to imply that they weren't. I was just warning him/her of a common error that might occur during the june 2010 SDK installation that seems to happen pretty often.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4102259/directx-sdk-june-2010-installation-problems-error-code-s1023

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2011/12/09/known-issue-directx-sdk-june-2010-setup-and-the-s1023-error.aspx

Them should help if you happen to run into this error.
Last edited on
Thank you all so much. I was hoping for responses since I have seen more than once people claiming they were using an SDK with VS express. I assume the SDK from June 2010 will work on windows 2008 express as well?

These redistributables are part of the runtime, is this what you're saying? Thanks for the consideration CodeGazer. I don't really understand what you mean modoran?

-have a good day-
Last edited on
redistributables are setup files and bunch of stuff that you include with your game when you want to release it to the people, redistributables contains the nessecary Dx files to run Dx games on other people machines (runtime is installed by redistributables).
have you ever seen a directx folder in a game CD that folder contains the redistributables the game company includes them in cause you did not have directx runtime installed on your computer already or to update your runtime to the nessecary version if you had an older version.

SDK contains the directx runtime ... in addition to the files and the stuff that allow you to write programs that use directx.
Last edited on
I will be reinstalling C++ 2010 and DirectX SDK on a fresh new operating system(Vista.) I'm trying to understand modoran's comment. It seems like he's saying that the choice of installing the runtime with the SDK can solve the problem. I'm wondering if I can prevent any problems? if I can't of course I'll need to do CodeGazer's mentioned solution.

Last edited on
Yes installing the SDK with the Dx runtime that is included within it will do...

just make sure to install runtime if the SDK setup asks you weather you want to install runtime or not.

Redistributable and SDK are different things.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Redistributable (Directx runtimes)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
copied from Microsoft website:
This download provides the DirectX end-user redistributable that developers can include with their product.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

SDK
copied from Microsoft website:
Download the complete DirectX SDK, which contains the DirectX Runtime and all DirectX software required to create DirectX compliant applications.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812

The SDK contains the runtimes as stated above and also was said by modoran (
DirectX SDK includes DirectX runtime as a optional feature, but it not forces you to install.
)

If you dont have the Runtimes installed any game that uses directx classes/functions/...etc will NOT work on your PC

if you dont have the SDK you cant program games that use Directx

Microsoft includes the Runtimes in the SDK since it wont make since if you can program a game only to not be able to play it, test it or even run it once!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that did not leave any unclear information. goodluck...
Okay great, thank you.

-josheir-
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.