Help With Jobs and Processes?

So, I know what a job is: a bunch of processes (right?)
And I have a little bit of a clue of what a process is, thanks to my addiction to the task manager and stuff.

Anyway, I know what they are, but how do I use them? I know CreateProcess() makes a process, but I don't know how to use the process I created.

And CreateJobObject() makes a job (right?) but I don't know how to use it.

Anyway, any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.
Yes, Job Objects are groups of processes that are managed together. When you would use something like this is largely up to you. There are only a few times I've considered using them for a task and I always seem to find a better or more flexible way of accomplishing whatever it was I was trying to do.
Thank you for clearing up jobs, but about processes? I have (like I said) only so much as a clue about processes, and I have NO idea how to use them.
When an instance of a program is loaded into memory, it is referred to as a "process". Internet Explorer is an example of a process and so is Notepad. You would use "CreateProcess()" to launch other programs from your own.

An example of this that I often use is for a custom in house installer service I wrote. It uses the "CreateProcess()" function to launch 'msiexec.exe' with the name of the installer package, the '-i' and the '-quiet' parameters as arguments. This way I can use an already available tool to accomplish the task of installing an application.
Last edited on
Oh, thanks for summing that up for me. Anyway, how would I use it though? Can you give like, a basic example? Just so I can understand how to use it better?
This is about as simple as I can think to get:
#include <iostream>

#define _WIN32_WINNT 0x05010000

#include <windows.h>
#include <winbase.h>

void pause()
{
    std::cin.sync();
    std::cout << "\nPAUSED\n";
    std::cin.ignore();
}

int main()
{
    TCHAR ProcName[] = "Notepad.exe";
    TCHAR ProcName2[] = "calc.exe";

PROCESS_INFORMATION pi;
        ZeroMemory(&pi, sizeof(pi));

PROCESS_INFORMATION pi2;
        ZeroMemory(&pi2, sizeof(pi));

STARTUPINFO si;
        ZeroMemory(&si, sizeof(si));
        si.cb = sizeof(si);

STARTUPINFO si2;
        ZeroMemory(&si2, sizeof(si2));
        si2.cb = sizeof(si2);

HANDLE Jobject = CreateJobObject(NULL, "Job");

JOBOBJECT_EXTENDED_LIMIT_INFORMATION JBLI;

try
    {
        if(Jobject == NULL)
        {
            throw "COULD NOT CREATE JOB OBJECT:";
        }

if(!AssignProcessToJobObject(Jobject, OpenProcess(PROCESS_ALL_ACCESS, FALSE, GetCurrentProcessId())))
        {
            throw "COULD NOT ASSIGN SELF TO JOB OBJECT!:";
        }

if(!QueryInformationJobObject(Jobject, JobObjectExtendedLimitInformation, &JBLI, sizeof(JBLI), NULL))
        {
            throw "COULD NOT QUERY JOB OBJECT INFORMATION CLASS!:";
        }

JBLI.BasicLimitInformation.LimitFlags = JOB_OBJECT_LIMIT_BREAKAWAY_OK;

if(!SetInformationJobObject(Jobject, JobObjectExtendedLimitInformation, &JBLI, sizeof(JBLI)))
        {
            throw "COULD NOT SET JOB OBJECT INFORMATION CLASS!:";
        }

CreateProcess(NULL, ProcName, NULL, NULL, FALSE, 0, NULL, NULL, &si, &pi);

if(!CreateProcess(NULL, ProcName2, NULL, NULL, FALSE, CREATE_BREAKAWAY_FROM_JOB, NULL, NULL, &si2, &pi2))
        {
            throw "COULD NOT CREATE CHILD PROCESS!:";
        }

std::cout << "Child Process ID: " << pi.dwProcessId << "\tThread ID: " << pi.dwThreadId << "\tHandle: " << pi.hProcess << "\n";
    }
    catch(char* Message)
    {
        std::cout << Message << " " << GetLastError() << "\n";
    }

pause();

TerminateProcess(pi.hProcess, 1816);
    TerminateProcess(pi2.hProcess, 1816);

CloseHandle(pi.hThread);
    CloseHandle(pi.hProcess);

CloseHandle(pi2.hThread);
    CloseHandle(pi2.hProcess);

CloseHandle(Jobject);

return 0;
}

If you have Process Explorer or something similiar you can see that the "Notepad" process is part of the parents job, but "calc" is not.
Okay, okay, thank you. I didn't really know how to make a process before or even what it was, but after running the code through I get it know. Anyway, thanks for the help.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.