Using VS 2012 express

Hi. Sorry if this is not the right forum but I was wondering if anyone else has tried to use VS 2012 express on windows 7? I have been using vs 2010 with no problems but, when I installed vs 2012 express it builds the project alright but then when I try to run it says that it cannot find the exe file.
If I've missed something obvious I apologise, but any advice is appreciated
hiya.
It's okay on my win7 box.

have you tried opening up a file explorer and seeing where <YourSolutionName>.exe has been created?
Last edited on
Hi mutexe
I did a search of my entire drive and it has not found an exe file for this project. I have since re-installed vs 2012 express and the same thing happens. I even tried with a simple 'hello world' and this built properly - no errors or warnings, but again no exe file was found. The vs 2012 express doesn't seem to be creating an exe file. All the other expected files are there (.sdf, .sln, .vcxproj etc but no .exe) cant see what the problem might be. I've had no trouble before when I used both vs 2008 express and vs 2010 express on the same PC.
Check if you have accidentally created a DLL or static lib type project. In this case also your program should build but it wont create a exe, check if you have a .lib or DLL in the Debug/Release folder
Hi.I tried 'hello world' again, from scratch using filename 'test prog'. Same result then checked and the only files in debug folder are called: test prog.lastbuildstate and test prog .log. Still no exe file anywhere.
When you build your project in VS do you get something similar to this in your output window?:

1>InitializeBuildStatus:
1>  Creating "Debug\deletetThis.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
1>ClCompile:
1>  main.cpp
1>Link:
1>  deletetThis.vcxproj -> C:\Users\path\Debug\deletetThis.exe
1>FinalizeBuildStatus:
1>  Deleting file "Debug\deletetThis.unsuccessfulbuild".
1>  Touching "Debug\deletetThis.lastbuildstate".
1>
1>Build succeeded.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:02.20
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

in other words a 'build succeeded' message and a line that tells you where the exe has been written to?
Last edited on
HI mutexe
all I get in the output window is this:

1>------ Build started: Project: test prog, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
First do a clean, then a rebuild and look at the output window again.
If you get the same output you posted above then maybe codewalker was right.

i'd create a new project, making sure it's a blank, empty project. Add one item to the source files folder ("main.cpp" say). add something small in like:

int main()
{

return 0;
}

then build your project.

What output do you get now?
Hi again. I decided to try with vs 2013 express and installed that. This resulted in exactly the same problem - no exe file created. I then decided on one last try with vs 2012 express which I reinstalled. However, to save time, I didn't uninstall 2013 express so ended up with both versions on my machine. Lo and behold vs 2012 express then started working properly with no problems. I dont understand how or why but the problem seems to have been cured. I may try uninstalling the 2013 installation later but, for the moment I am leaving it on. Thought I would put this addition on for information and if anyone can work out how it cured the problem best of luck. Thanks again for everyones help.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.