USB Port byte sending

Greetings,

I have an electronic card, custom-made by somebody else with a microcontroller, which has a USB port. I can program it so that it interprets data that it can receive, using specific software, such as Labview. However, I would like to send the data using C++, as part of a program.

I have no time and no intention (and I don't know how to) write a driver for this card, yet I was told that it is possible to use some standard virtual port to send the data I need, a solution which would be much simpler than creating a custom driver after some months of reading up on USB.

All I need to do, is send one byte. A single byte. Can anybody point me to more specific details about the port I would have to use, and/or any adequate Library if it exists ?

Hopefully if I just have to send one byte it shouldn't be too complicated to set up. I don't have to read any kind of data, although being able to check whether the byte has been received would be an added bonus.

Thank you very much.

Edit : I've looked up quite a bit of stuff, and two possible solutions seem to crop up :
-The first would be to use the libusb Library, which seems to work independently of OS, and for all usb ports
-The second would be to consider the USB port as a COM port and send data using some more standard I/O methods. I'm not sure, however, that this is OS-independent and would work for all kinds of USB connectors.

I'd be curious for any opinion or tips on those solutions.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.