I really need help

Hi. I have created a text editor. Everything works fine except there is this text file when i load it, I can't type any characeter keys in it. All i can type is the backspace key and the arrow keys. When I type a character key like the a key nothing happens. When I open this file in Notepad everything works fine.
I can open and modify other files in the text editor without problem.
This is the code i used to create the edit box in the WM_CREATE case
This is a non unicode text file

hEdit = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, "EDIT", NULL, WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_HSCROLL | WS_VSCROLL | ES_MULTILINE | ES_NOHIDESEL, 0, 0, 0, 0, hwnd, (HMENU)ID_MAIN_EDIT, (HINSTANCE)GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_HINSTANCE), NULL);

I handle the sizing in WM_SIZE message.
I have also used the text editor from theForgers tutorial form the app_two example and im having the same problem too. I can email you the text file if you want and you can load it in the app_two example text editor and see for yourself

Please help
Last edited on
Are the file attributes set to read-only?
Last edited on
No they're not. The file just has an archive attribute
How big is the text file? Does it help if you increase the text limit of the edit control?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb761647%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
Thanks knn9
File size was 403 KB(413,161 bytes)
I increased edit box text limit and now everything works
Do you know what the maximum edit box text limit is for windows xp?
Last edited on
msdn wrote:
Before EM_SETLIMITTEXT is called, the default limit for the amount of text a user can enter in an edit control is 32,767 characters.

Edit controls on Windows NT/2000/XP: For single-line edit controls, the text limit is either 0x7FFFFFFE bytes or the value of the wParam parameter, whichever is smaller. For multiline edit controls, this value is either –1 bytes or the value of the wParam parameter, whichever is smaller.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.