Where to begin in the world of programming

Hi everyone. I will apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area or wrong for any other reason. I have recently left the army and want to go to school to become a programmer. The problem is that I am not sure what path to take in computers. I am searching things online and have a few meetings with academic advisors next week but I wanted to ask people who work in the industry what they would recommend. How should someone like me begin in the world of computer programming? What should I learn first? What degree would get me in to door of a decent company? Etc.
I don’t want to waste anyone’s time but who better to ask than people who actually do it for a living. Thank you in advance. I would be grateful for any advice anyone can offer me.
Thanks,
Stephen
I think you can edit your post to move it to the Lounge section of the forum? I think more people will see it there.
Theres many degrees, I would recommend Bachelor of Computer Science which is what I am taking now. As for languages it depends, in school we learn Java which is a good starting language and is very portable. I am currently learning C++ to get in video games, but if you are to choose a language stick with it for a while before moving on because most OOP languages such as C++,Java,C# are similar so learning a lot of 1 can help with others.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.