Having trouble understanding Code::Blocks errors

When I try to build a .cpp file, just a simple hello world program, an error shows up in red in the build log at the bottom of the window:

Execution of 'mingw32-g++.exe -c D:\learnersCode\testing.cpp -o D:\learnersCode\testing.o' in 'C:\Users\Owner\Desktop' failed.

I think it has something to do with the C:\Users, etc. part: what does that have to do with anything? What would that be looking for, exactly?

Sorry if I'm not supposed to ask questions about IDE's, but the Code::Blocks forum is atrocious, honestly. They treat their users like scum and this question I'm asking doesn't even go anywhere on their forum, so I hope this forum can help.

They aren't THAT bad, but it is really easy to piss off the admins, so if you go there be careful.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited on
This error says simply that the execution of 'mingw32-g++.exe' from your desktop failed. The IDE should not be looking for this binary in your desktop. You need to add the location of 'mingw32-g++.exe' to your systems search path and restart Code::Blocks.

Further more, you should not be running this project file from your desktop. Make a separate folder for each of your projects under My Documents, otherwise you're just asking for an maintainable mess of files all over the place. I also suggest sub-sorting projects by API used, for example SFML projects go under this folder, WinAPI projects go under that folder etc. but in the end that will be user preference and so you can worry about it later.
Okay, thank you. Like I said, I think I unknowingly changed a setting somewhere, because absolutely nothing useful is on the desktop.

How do I add something to my systems search path? Would that be Global Compiler Settings > Search Directories, or something different? Sorry, I'm new to this, and all I want to do is fix this IDE so I can continue learning C++.
Did you installed MinGW at all ? If not you should install it first.

There is a version of CodeBlocks that came bundlel with MinGW, that should setup everything automatically for you.
That is the version I have. It did install, but I think there is something wrong with the way it installed, because I keep getting errors, no matter what fix i try. Could there be something wrong with the my C::B installer? Should I get a new one?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.