I want to put a live chat room on my site, any ideas how to do this?

Hi,

I have a website and quite a few members have suggested that adding a chat room would be a great idea.

I'm searching for something I might be able to integrate well into my site.

Has anyone tried RumbleTalk or C-box?
Hello Lalaine,
First off, I am wondering why this has anything to do with C++, or Windows Programming. This post *Probably* belongs in a different Forum, regardless, I could probably be labeled the bad guy for replying, but I can't resist trying to help people.

On to your question, what language exactly were you planning to use? PHP, in my opinion would be a wonderful place to start, you wouldn't need to integrate anything, just code a simple chat room from scratch. Start with two text boxes, the first larger and the text is not modifiable, the second should be shorter, height wise, and can be modified, upon hitting the submit button, the text is formatted and displayed on the larger box, and sent to a MySQL server.

The larger text box should refresh every 2 or so seconds, and there should be a manual refresh button. It checks MySQL for a new post then adds it onto the larger text box.

I am not a PHP Guru by any means, but I know a little and this honestly shouldn't be hard, if you don't know PHP, I recommend looking into it, especially if you run your own website.

Here, http://www.tizag.com/phpT/ would be a great place to start learning. Everything is organized and easy to find.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.