winsock bind fails (WSAENOTSOCK)

Hey guys,

i have a problem with winsock udp sockets.

This the part of the code that fails.
if (userSocket == INVALID_SOCKET) {
        std::cout << "socket invalid\n";
}
errorNumber = bind(userSocket, (sockaddr*)&userPort, sizeof(userPort));
	if (errorNumber != 0) {
		std::cout << "bind failed: " << WSAGetLastError() << " port: " << portNumber << "\n";
		return false;
	}
The socket is valid but bind fails with WSAENOTSOCK. I'm really out of ideas here. How is that even possible ?
You'll need to show the declaration and initialisation of userPort.

While you're at it, please show the initialisation of userSocket.
Last edited on
WSADATA wsaData;
SOCKET userSocket;
sockaddr_in userPort;
int errorNumber;

errorNumber = WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2, 2), &wsaData);
if (errorNumber != 0) {
	std::cout << "init failed\n";
}

userSocket = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_UDP);
if (userSocket == INVALID_SOCKET) {
	std::cout << "socket invalid\n";
}

userPort.sin_family = AF_INET;
userPort.sin_addr.s_addr = INADDR_ANY;
userPort.sin_port = htons(portNumber);

errorNumber = bind(userSocket, (struct sockaddr*)&userPort, sizeof(userPort));
if (errorNumber != 0) {
	std::cout << "bind failed: " << WSAGetLastError() << " port: " << portNumber << "\n";
}

As i said the "userSocket == INVALID_SOCKET" does return false. I really do not understand how bind returns WSAENOTSOCK
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it so I ran it (on W7). There was no error, it seemed ok there too.
This is ridiculous. This code fails always with WSAENOTSOCK at bind on my computer. Running on Windows 8 should not be a problem right ?
It is rediculous, and you're right, it should run.

Perhaps it's something external like port restrictions imposed by some firewall or something. Or maybe the port number is too low for a non-admin account. Just guessing ...
I suspect that it has something to do with the typecast of userPort. Narrowing conversions are a PITA, and an explicit cast is not a work around that you should use regularly. You should avoid them where ever you can.

Is there a reason that userPort HAS to be a 'sockaddr_in' instead of the smaller 'sockaddr? If it was a sockaddr from the beginning then casting the other way around is pretty much trouble free.
It is working now. I have no idea why. There was a Windows Update running in the background and the antivirus also. Probably one of theese blocked the outgoing connection.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.