8.3 Filename

Is there some way to bypass this? I need to have a text file that has 9 or more characters for a filename. Im using a dos version of turbo c++

It really is a major setback on my part if I cant bypass it because of the project Im making as a student.
Hi there, welcome to the future. In 2014, many filesystems support filenames of 4 kiB or more. 8.3 filenames are basically unheard of now.
I think you'll have to use another compiler if you want longer filenames.
I guess Im stuck using ancient crap lol
Im a student you see and its almost impossible to change compilers even though some are free cause theyll need to hire professors who understand how to use those compilers.
i thought the original reason for using something like Turbo C++ was because it had minimal hardware requirements, thereby putting it within reach of almost anyone. Even if that isn't the whole reason, sooner or later something has to give. Will Turbo C++ still be taught in say five years time, or ten years. Fifty years?

(apologies for digressing away from the subject).
One thing you might do in Turbo C++ is to create the file with the required long filename, using say notepad, do it outside of that IDE. Then access that same file using the short filename.

At the windows command prompt (run->cmd)
Type dir /x to display a list of files in that directory with both long and short filenames.
Last edited on
Forcing the students to use Turbo C++ prevents them from just copy the solution from the web :p
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.