C++ GUI

I bet this topic has been brought up multiple times but when I search I cannot find a fitting solution for my situation.

My application listens for messages automatically (eg. async external messages) which will immediately update internal memories, most of which can be displayed as excel-like tables. What I want in particular is to display this information live in a table. Minor display delay in magnitude of 0.1 second is okay.

The catch is that I don't want the GUI running on the same process (or even same machine) as the application. So it is likely I'll use IPC for that. This GUI needs to have tables (is it called grid?), textboxes, labels and buttons at the minimal. The GUI may send messages back to the application based on user input (selection, textbox values, etc...)

I only have Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows Desktop and currently running the application on Windows 8 (later probably win 2008 or 2012). The client will be Windows 8 as well when I sort of this GUI part.

I've spent quite a bit of time at http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/, which is very good except it doesn't show how to do tables (grid). I've also tried Code::Blocks but its own example won't even compile. Is there s simple way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
You want something to create a GUI then you embed your code in the .cpp area or what? Have you tried using Resedit to create a GUI? What have you tried.
I looked at winprog and code::blocks. WinProg uses the Windows API functions directly so it's pretty low level. That would be my last resort if I can't find anything else but it is going to take me a long to do build anything.

Something like the Windows Application Form would be ideal but I don't seem to have that under Visual Studio Express 2013.

And coding with C++ would be my preference.

For example, my memory is map<string, map<string, double> > that I want to display. Or you can essentially visualize that as a database table. The table I want to display would simply shows a subset of this table/memory. The selection would be done by the client GUI / client application (not the server app)
What about appending a CLR Windows Form on the C++ solution? I just came across with that and the designer GUI looks like what I need (WYSIWYG). However I have no experience in this and wonder if it can port with my main C++ code (which contains the memory to be displayed, and response functions to button clicking) easily.
Last edited on
What's your aim? You wonna Model a GUI in C++ but you don't wonna use the form to create a User interface. You wonna use something that would have resource.h file and compile with your own C++ code you add to it not so?
no I won't mind using the form to create a UI but I'm not sure how that can be ported into C++
Actually my friend recommended Dev Express but that wasn't free. Do anyone has some experience to share some light on this one?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.